1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

MatterControl support pillars

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Souless1, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Souless1

Souless1 New Member

I recently purchased a Robo R1+ and I love the thing! It came with MatterControl software, which I updated to version 2.0. Here's my issue. The majority of what I print are 32mm gaming miniatures. They all require supports. I haven't been able to make the support pillars smaller than 1.5. When you have a 1.5 diameter support on a 1mm turret barrel, it's not the pillar that's going to snap off when you clean the print. I've written MatterHackers about it, but have yet to get a reply. So I'm taking it to the users.

What do you guys recommend?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A different slicer? You can likely get that to work with some tweaking.

While these days most miniatures we do end up being done on a resin printer, we often test print them on an FDM and for that I use Simplify3D and a 0.25 nozzle.

3. Souless1

Souless1 New Member

Well, you were the only person to reply to my post. I've written several emails to the people that wrote and distributed the Matter Maker software, asking how to reduce the diameter of the supports, and they haven't even taken the time to reply to my questions.

Even if the detail was a little soft for miniatures, the ROBO R1+ printer was what I could afford. Most resin printers are WAY above my lowly budget, so I guess I'll try to find a different free software that will work with it.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have not used any of the free slicers in a long time so I am not going to be the one to give you a reasoned response on which ones to try :) I will say that support generation (and really the entire generated toolpath) is custom to the slicer. That is the majority of what differentiates them. There are a few free ones (MatterControl obviously, Cura, Repetier Host, Kisslicer and a few others) try them all until you find one that works best for you.

Good luck and some of the others on here may be able to chime in.