1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Maximum Print Size

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jonebersole, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonebersole

jonebersole Member

Hello Everyone,

I just ordered my R1 last week and I'm looking forward to using it. So many ideas that I'm not sure which one to start with first. Anyway, I searched the threads to try to find out what is the maximum print area so I can start making my designs in AutoCAD. I was hoping someone would be able to offer some insight. The following URL indicates that the maximum build volume is 10x9x8 inches.

http://www.robo3dprinter.com/collections/3d-printers/products/robo-3d-abs-model-fully-assembled

I am 'assuming' that they are referring to x, y, z coordinates in those dimensions. That would seem to make sense since print drawings are in those measurements. Anyway, in AutoCAD, I created test base plate to test the max size and made that plate 10in wide x 9in long x 1in high. I exported it as an stl solid in AutoCAD, and then imported it into MatterControl 1.1. The item is way bigger than the plate shows. And the plate makes no sense. It has numbers from 1 thru 20 in the x and y directions. What's that all about? Is that the maximum print area indicated by that grey colored plate in MatterControl? There is also a checkbox under display that says 'show print area'. That doesn't seem to do anything (or the developers are showing a white box over the white background so we can't see it). Can anyone help me understand the actual largest print dimensions in inches or millimeters in x, y, z coordinates? Thanks in advance.
    - Jon

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

My Repetier printer shape is set for XYZ: 213mm, 250mm, 175mm. This is for the original bed. Y is a bit smaller to make room for printed Z smooth rod stabilizers. Repetier tells you if you load a model bigger or outside of this volume. The extremes of that Y value are outside of the headed bed area so ABS prints should be smaller in Y.

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Also I have an E3D hot end which also takes a bit more off of Z.

4. Bob64

Bob64 Member

make sure mattercontrol is setup to your printer's dimensions.
    x:228mm
    y:254mm
    z:200mm

5. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

That listed build volume is the "theoretical" size cube you could print based on the bed size and max z height. However, you will find that when printing more than, say 6", you will experience issues like warping, delaminating layers, etc. due to the sheer mass of the object and its heat carrying characteristics. I'm sure a giant object could theoretically be printed in there, but plan on doing smaller prints until you're a master with small and medium sized ones first so that you're familiar with how a hot piece of plastic with a high mass is going to behave.

6. jonebersole

jonebersole Member

I want to thank everyone for replying. Since I don't have the printer yet, I didn't "Select" my R1 printer from the list yet, so it used default settings for the grey baseplate that appears beneath the models. After selecting the R1, it now has 25 in the y direction and 22 in the x direction. Now this makes sense; they must represent 5mm marks. Ahhh, and it starts to come together.

On another note, I don't plan on making any huge volume prints. I'm more concerned upfront about the max x and y coordinates, because I will be building something similar to a tesla turbine; the plates, center rod, and the casing. I will be making plates about 8mm-12mm thick, but about 210mm in diameter, with a casing about 228mm in diameter. the casing will be in two halves, about 50mm thick (hollow) to start. I wouldn't think these dimensions would cause warping issues, but I've never used a 3D printer before. This is part of the learning process.

2 people like this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Totally depends on:

1) material you print with (and size/shape of the parts)
    2) bed temperature
    3) room temperature

In that order. Some materials are really 'eager' to warp, others not so much...

8. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

The original settings recommended for the bed size was
    Printer
    Bed size 228.6 x 254
    Print centre 114.3 x 127
    Build height 203.2
    Z offset 0
    Bed shape rectangular
    Firmware reprap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Be sure to post the Tesla Turbine results in the project area of the forum. Its another on my list of projects for to do with my kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.