1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

MeshMixer part supports

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ben Lindstrom, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Has anyone tried http://www.meshmixer.com for the ability to do an alternate way of doing part supports?

I fiddled with it for a good part of four hours and pretty much aborted every print after 5 - 20 layers in on my fox.

It feels like Slic3r is making poor slicing choices causing a lot of short, jarring motions which resulted in supports popping off the print bed. I must have toyed with every setting and the best setup I could get used just as much (if not more) material than what Slic3r would have done.

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried it and if they've had any better success.

Side Note: MeshMixer and Blender's X,Y & Z axis aren't the same and as far as I can tell you have to set your model position before bring it into MeshMixer as there is no way to spin the object just the viewport. Very frustrating. =)

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

That is what I was going to ask you about I cold not rotate the part either but I could swear he does it in the video. I am having trouble moving the view as well how did you do it?

3. Ben Lindstrom

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

will try that
    thanks

5. Ben Lindstrom

Ok.. After digging further one can rotate an object using "T" for transform. Which isn't on that handy list of commands.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

OK thanks

7. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Hey guys, also is there a way to add the robo3d printer settings? The presets only list Stratasys, Makerbot and Type A series 1. I'd love to be able to print out of the Meshmixer.

Thanks!
    Delorean

8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It doesn't look like meshmixer actually prints. It just preps the model and then sends it out to a slicer. Take a look at the makerbot options. It doesn't print it exports to makerware.
    For they type a which is an open source machine, it only shows an option to export to an stl. nice interface though...