1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Minor upgrades worth pursuing?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Chuck Glenn, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Chuck Glenn

Chuck Glenn Member

Is there any merit to replacing the stepper drivers (which apparently are A4988 parts) with DRV8825 or another type? I saw some reviews where these are more quiet -- presumably because they drive in a smoother manner so there is less buzzing mechanically? I'm also seeing TMC2208 and 2209 as replacements, but they have additional pins on top for something called UART mode maybe... I'm just wondering if any of these are a direct swap for the A4988s, and whether there is any benefit to doing so (like less noise).

Also, I am thinking about printing out some feet for the corners, and replacing the Y stepper with something bigger that won't run as hot. I'm having a Y skip, and just replaced the A4988 for that, but if it turns out to be the stepper I will want to upgrade that in order to prevent the problem from coming back (or at least coming back as soon).

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is at least one thread on this...at least for the A4988 and DRV8825 (these are mostly a direct swap): http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/a4988-to-dvr2588.23571/#post-137174

Feel free to experiment but honestly when we played around with different drivers (and we even tried some of the stepper "smoothing" boards) nothing made a significant difference in the output. There are many things you can do to affect output quality, but I never saw where changing the stepper drivers actually helped...

It will not hurt (assuming you can get it installed). The stepper smoothing boards may be easier to use: https://smile.amazon.com/DaFuRui-Smoother-Pattern-Elimination-Clipping/dp/B07QQPD7RT

My two cents only, your mileage may vary (void where prohibited by law, etc.)

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The stepper smoothers just get wired directly in-line with the wires too the stepper motors. Make sure you pick some that are 4-wire (since the Robo uses 4-wire steppers)

Short of a delta printer I doubt you can tell the difference and even on our delta I only "think" I notice it :)