1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved MKS tft 2.8 resume after power out

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Huski, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Huski

Huski New Member

Hi All, I have been using the MKS touch controller exclusively to print on my R1plus. I generate a gcode on the computer and then print from a SD card on the unit..... works well, although there don't seem to be many people using them.
    My question is, it has a resume function....should the power go out, you have the option to resume the interrupted print. Although it starts again where it left off, it doesn't do it in the correct place.
    Anyone have a similar setup and a plan would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks !

The pic below is from my latest attempt .....[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Resuming as a result of power outage has so many caveats that it is difficult to come up with a plan of action that works. When the power goes out the printer forgets everything it knows which means it doesn't know where X0, Y0 and Z0 are so it cannot know where other absolute measurements are. You are better served putting the printer on an Uninterruptible Power Supply so that power never actually goes out during a print. The MKS LCD is a nice piece of tech for a 3D printer but it has its limitations.

3. Huski

Huski New Member

Thanks for the reply, a UPS would definitely be the way to go....
    It would seem like a really cool function on the MKS if it actually worked 100%. What bugs me is that it is 95% there .... when you resume a print after a power outage, the Z axis stays where it left off, the X and Y return to their home positions, bed and extruder heat up and off it goes. All sounds magic except the Y axis is consistently off by 5mm .... I have now put a 5mm spacer between the bed and Y axis micro-switch which appears to have worked with my test print. I will try it with a couple of different prints to make sure.
    Does make me think that there must be a firmware mod on the MKS unit that I can make instead of a mechanical solution ?
    If anyone has any clever ideas... please feel free to suggest it !

Thanks

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Unfortunately MKS does not release it's source code for the TFT screens, they have had 3 so far all use essentially the same firmware and just vary in screen size. You can change the icons, I did my own set but prefer the work done here:

5. Huski

Huski New Member

Thanks .... I have been wanting to change the icons but am scared that I will screw up something else in the process. LOL