1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered My First Robo3d R1+ experience (belt problem)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Matt Jones, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Jones

Matt Jones New Member

I just bought an R1+ over the weekend direct from robo3d.com. It arrived today and I was so excited. I unboxed and got it set up. I quickly realized the belt was loose and had fallen off the spindles and a small cut or broken zip tie was left on the build plate.

No other plastic tighteners or belt support was included. The instructions have mentioned nothing on the subject. After searching on their support site under 'belt' I found a poorly explained walkthrough which got the belt 'installed'. I then realized that its like the belt is far too big for the unit? I have tried several times but the belt is so loose it just falls off. It does not have a clip or anything.

I immediately contacted support who could not offer any direct help, explanation, or anything at all. So,
    a) no apology for the disappointment b) no actual 'technical support' other than awaiting for an email response from a mystery 'head of support', which is apparently going to take 24-48 hours for them to reply. What the actual heck is going on here? I am astonished that I am resorting to asking the forum instead of a direct and immediate resolution from Robo3d.

I am so far completely appalled by the service that I have been provided, leaving a rather sour taste in my mouth. I notice in some youtube videos and support threads, that many users have custom belt clips, or pieces attached -specifically some kind of tightener. Why is this basic thing not included? Why isn't the belt the correct length to begin with? Do companies not QC before shipping out to a new customer anymore??

I am more than happy to deal with issues and make adjustments as I learn, print out parts to improve it, I get that 3D printing is still very new, but at least send me a properly QC'd, tested, fully setup unit that works out of the box.

Any help on what I can do would be great. I cannot 3d print any solution however, so I'll just stare at it some more.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All I can offer is a picture of how my belt is attached. You really likely need a tier-2 support person to get anything real done which takes a couple of days (sadly). If you can figure out how to hook it back up this is how mine is attached. Bear in mind everyone in this forum is a printer owner/user like you (not Robo employees). We can help you if you are willing to work on it :) Mine is attached to the carriage where the hotend sits (the black thing in the middle) with a couple (OK, six) of zip ties.

Belt Tensioner.jpg

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you need a picture of how the belt crosses the rollers on the sides I can get a photo of that too.

Matt Jones likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. easier to work on if you take the top cover off

5. Matt Jones

Matt Jones New Member

IMG_1440.JPG

Thanks for the reply. So far incredibly more helpful than any level 1 support. Much obliged!

Yes I resent ranting at a forum, believe me the support team have had it too. Apologies Makers!

That picture would be very useful also, thank you.

6. Matt Jones

Matt Jones New Member

A few things to note: your belt is in two pieces? I have a loop?

I have zip ties but would need a much better understanding of how the belt fits snugly. Thanks again

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The earlier ones were exactly like his... a cut belt. They only towards the end started using a continuous loop. Either way you can cut it and attach it similar to the picture I posted. :)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All you appear to be missing are the zip ties. Get the belt taut when you add them. Notice how one of mine is set so that I can actually adjust the zip tie to tighten the belt? You want the belt to make a low thrumming sound if you pluck it. Tight, but not silly tight :) It should go around the metal rollers/spools at the ends (just out of sight in your picture) and then come back to the carriage.

9. Hoa

Hoa New Member

My R1 belt has tension spring on it.

R1.jpg R1.jpg

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Either way works, once you get it tightened it doesn't get loose again soon :)

And that spring is from a clothes pin (so you can always make your own)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.