1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved My Robo 3d has picked up a new temp problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PickyBiker, Apr 9, 2015.

1. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

The printer starts the auto-level routine and just as it finishes it, the printer sets an error indicating the extruder temp dropped too much and then just stops.

I attached the terminal output (with a few of my comments in it)

What can cause that? Is the auto-level taking too long? Does the extruder heater turn off while auto-level is running?

Attached Files:

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Loose thermistor or broken wire?

3. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Loose, maybe, I'll check. Broken wire? I don't think so because when that happens it reads ZERO degrees.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

<-Error:Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print! [191.525]

Yea, that is what I would think althogh from the comm log I do not see an obvious drop. BUT it would only take one low reading to generate the error. So like @Stephen Capistron says check the thermistor and wiring harness. Try moving the harness to the extruder by hand (wiggle test several points along the cable harness that runs from the extrduer to under the bed) and see if the temperature suddenly changes while you are doing that.

edit: if it is dropping to zero then you absolutely have a bad thermistor or wire to it from the ramps.

5. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Well, it is an intermittent wire at the bend coming off the x-axis carriage. . This is the third stress related broken wire in the machine. The first two were in the y-axis cabling where the bed constantly moves back and forth. This time the x and z axis movement is the culprit.

In an effort to put broken wires in the rear view mirror, I just bought some 20 Million Cycle Hi-Flex-life AWM, 18/8, 300V / 600V wire for it. As long as I make sure it has proper strain relief and doesn't bend too sharply, that should keep me going into the next millenium.

The 8 wires are for:
    fan 2
    heater 2
    temp sensor 2
    led's 2
    I am going to mark this one resolved even though it will be a few days before the new wire shows up.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I feel you. I replaced every wire in that wire bundle (end to end) at one point or another.

PickyBiker likes this.