1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer My X and Y steps/mm need to be 160 not 80?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, May 15, 2020.

1. joea

joea Active Member

After upgrading to 8mm leadscrews and re-compiling, thinking I had only changed the Z axis steps/mm, I ran into an issue from long past.

Basically looking into a bed leveling question, I found X and Y were moving half the distance they should be been.

For some reason, my R1 (somethiing) needs to have steps per mm set to 160 rather than 80. For one reason or another, maybe senility, maybe forgotten experiments (Same thing?) I compiled it using 80 which was the un-commented line. in configuration.h.

That resolved now, I wonder why this unit is like that. I guess the steppers could be oddballs? The Marlin Version appears to be 1.0 FWIW.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It might depend on which jumpers you have set on the RAMPS board for microstepping and which stepper drivers you are using.
    The A4988 is the default/stock one but the DRV8825 will work and has twice the resolution in terms of microsteps.