1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered My X Endstop is broken. How do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Torix, May 18, 2015.

1. Torix

Torix New Member

This morning my printer started having an issue where the calibration would start near the middle, but keep scooting over to the right until it would hit the end and grind the belt against the right side multiple times. I did some research an figured out that my X axis end stop (the one on the actual print head) has an issue where it is always triggered. Running M119 confirms this (and that the other two are working fine).

My questions is this: How do I troubleshoot possible issues with the x endstop (how is it installed, where might there be loose wires, etc), and if those are not solutions, how do I install a new one. I have been unable to find any guides or schematics about how the endstop is installed or wired.

I have a newer Robo3D with enclosed parts and most/all of the upgrades. I got it around january or february of this year, so it has a bottom and isn't just open.

2. Torix

Torix New Member

I took the wires off the enstop, and the - (black) wire's prong was weird and white rather than metallic. I tried touching the two ends of the wires by stuffing both into one of the rubber insulator parts to see if that made a circuit (which would change m119 from triggered to open, but that had no effect. Gonna try a multimeter next I think?[​IMG]

#2 Torix, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. Dafni

Dafni New Member

What did you manage to do with this issue? i have the same..

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Trace the wires back to the RAMPS board under the machine. You could have a bad connection in the wire bundle or the connector has com loose from the RAMPS board. More likely the second one...

5. Torix

Torix New Member

The issue was on the crimping on the end of the wire that connected to the endstop. Too much of the insulation was inside the crimp and it was actually preventing solid contact on the metal. My solution was to take a set of heavy duty pliers and smash it down onto the wire. Works like a charm now.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Torix

Torix New Member

[​IMG]

The insulation was inside the part that the wire goes into and was preventing proper contact. Highly recommend a multimeter to make sure this is the problem.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Great catch. Same idea as a bad wire practically speaking :)