1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Need help for an idea for auto bed leveling...

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Matthias, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Matthias

Matthias Member

This is about auto bed leveling: I'll need some help from someone familiar with electronic components. I know the theory (somewhat) but I lack real life experience.

There are some auto bed leveling solutions out there, one with an RC servo, one with a weird movement of the extruder, both trying to extract and retract an endstop switch. I just hate mechanics at that point as it introduces yet more error (failure, precision,...).

The idea I have is to mount a laser (diode or pointer) on the front size of the extruder, and some photo diod/transistor such that when you move the extruder down, you'll ge a reading when the laser light is reflected and points to the photo diod.

There are several issues with this, I admit.
    - precision depends on the photo cell, however, we only need reproducible results, not exact readings, so as long as the laser or the photo cell don't move, that should be ok.
    - What to do with a taped bed? Is there enough reflection? (No idea, I'd think no, comments welcome).
    - Maybe ultrasound would be better, but I didn't find any electronic components for that.

Comments welcome

2. polylac

polylac New Member

I don't think thiw will work.
    Lasers need a reflector and without that you get an unpredictable signal (strenght) so this won't be accurate.

Unltrasound modules are avaiable, but those which are accurate enough are very expensive.

It would be cheaper to use a capacitive sensor. But I'm not shure if they are accurate enough. They need to give the signal in a less than 0,1mm interval.

3. BjG

BjG Member

3 people like this.
  4. BjG

BjG Member

Any news ?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's an idea for you.

- Fixed laser sweeping a horizontal beam at a known fixed height parallel to the bed.

- Linear CCD attached to the extruder carriage mounted in a vertical orientation.

- As the extruder touches the bed, read where the laser is hitting the linear CCD ie which CCD "pixel" it hits. Then you know (to the limits of one pixel dimension) exactly the height of the extruder.

No moving parts, Piece of cake. Idea is copyright All rights reserved :)

6. Matthias

Matthias Member

Too much other stuff going on right now. I guess I'll follow up on this after the summer...