1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Need help!! Ready to throw away.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Christopher Kiraly, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Kiraly

Christopher Kiraly New Member

I recently received my RoBo 3D and finally decided to attempt to set up and print after all the not so good stories I've read. Well after a few days and after trying just about everything from all the forums, I'm just about ready to go Office Space on it. Here are my problems (besides not being able to print):

I have the ABS model with heated bed but I'm trying to print PLA.

1) The print bed is warped so that the exact center is raised about 1mm higher than both sides of the x-axis.
    2) I can't get PLA to stick to the bed without blue tape. I've tried just about every combination of extruded temp, bed temp and various nozzle heights and layer thicknesses.
    3) Trying to home the z-axis is ridiculous. I followed the set up guide many times, nothing. Maybe because the bed is so warped. But my biggest frustration is that just when start getting something to print and something happens, when I try to re-run (without changing anything) the z-axis will run past zero and the z nuts will come off the carriages, so then I have to reset.
    4) Extruder oozes and loops when printing. Loops even when raised and just trying to extrude to check the nozzle.

Does this printer really work? It seems that many people are claiming theirs is great, but I can't really see how without MAJOR help/mods.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2 people like this.
  2. polylac

polylac New Member

First the bed should not be that bend. Why is that? Maybe post a picture or ask the Robo-Team.

Is the Z-Switch working? Maybe the cabel or connection is broken or whatever?

Bluet Tape, or vynil, or some slurry, or hairspray, or whatever seems always to be needed to get a print stuck good.

2 people like this.
  3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I use green painters tape with Uhu. Glue stick. Heated bed around 55. PLA, black.

I reboot my computer before any job. I also clean out the filament head by unscrewing the brace, heat head to 200, remove filament. Cut filament at a 45 degree. Reinsert the filament. Rescrew brace.

Lift z axis to 50, extrude some filament. Works ok then carry on. If not restart from filament feed setup.

Do the paper level. Slight drag and lift a fraction.

If it's extruding the Home using Repetier home button (left bottom)

Begin print. Adjust z height on each side according by make sure to hold one and turn the other so that you have a flat line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

ive said it before and i'll say it again you can't calibrate a printer that isn't mechanically sound... ie..

you need to fix these mechanical issues before trying to calibrate.. all you will get....... is frustrated. contact robo have them fix your issues or fix them yourself.

1. get rid of the unlevel print surface,, do my modification if you like.
    2. getting anything to stick to a warp bed is gonna be frustrating..
    3. printer doesn't know where home is.. you have to home at the start of every print.. you can't stop and think you can just restart there.... you have to start over..
    4. oozing is normal.. print priming perimeter to get your flow going ... then start your print.. these are slicer settings..

its frustrating i know.. but it doesn't help that the robo is not mechanically ready to print out of the box!!!

MY SUGGESTION IS SEND IT BACK!!!

2 people like this.
  5. arrg

arrg New Member

My machine also overran the z axis and the nuts came out of the housings. It was caused by the z axis limit switch not being lined up with the tab that it is supposed to hit. I believe that it was moved while removing the packaging when I got the machine. My z axis home and repeatability problems went away as soon as I adjusted the stop to contact the switch properly.
    Good luck, don't give up.

2 people like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

When I first got my printer I was frustrated too. I am now getting good results and so are many others.

If your bed is warped then that needs to be fixed - and I assume the Robo technical team will help get that sorted.

In the meantime you can get a piece of plain float glass sheet about 340 x 220 mm and at least 5mm thick. Use bull dog clips to hold it on the bed. I use this sheet all the time just to avoid damaging the bed and to make it easier to get prints off if they stick hard. This glass will be flat and will survive being heated up to around 90-95c (enough for ABS). Beyond 95c and float glass is likely to crack. If you can get Borosilicate glass that is the best solution and will survive well over 95C.

Extruder loops are not unusual. Sometimes this happens because there is some other gunk on the nozzle. Suggest you clean the nozzle while hot with something like a wooden ice cream stick. Sometimes just turning the fan on will stop the extruder looping filament. As long as the nozzle is clean, it should extrude ok when it is actually printing.

Check your Z limit switch is not the wrong way round. This was a quality issue with some printers and there is post somewhere on the forum showing what it should look like.

In the first few days I found I was "throwing the Z nuts" on a regular basis - big PIA. Few weeks later and I can't remember the last time it happened. There is a learning/experience curve with a 3D Printer - that's simply the nature of the technology at this point in its evolution.

Hang in there !

2 people like this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Ziggy, I just want to mention that the Z limit switch works fine for many with the limit screw hitting directly above the microswitch contact as opposed to hitting further down the lever. So I think the jury is out on which is the correct way. I'm not certain but I think robo is still shipping it in this position on purpose. Hitting directly above the contacts should be a bit more accurate because the lever can bend a bit.

2 people like this.
  8. cosber

cosber Active Member

I can say that the limit switch was put "backwards" on purpose. When I talked to the guys in the shop, they came right out and said it doesn't matter. I found turning it around gave me more leeway for adjusting the z-stop. I didn't have to have it down so low to trigger the switch.

2 people like this.
  9. Christopher Kiraly

Christopher Kiraly New Member

Thanks for everyone's responses! I did change the orientation of the z-axis switch as recommended here and some other sites. I found the issue with the z-axis overrunning zero was that the x-axis motor-side was getting caught by the nearby cable bundles periodically. I mounted a fastener and cable tied out of the way, so that problem is solved. After Peter's suggestions I was finally able to get some things to print but because of the bed warpage, larger pieces of pieces that extend to certain areas of the print bed just don't stick because of the extreme changes in height. I am glad that I was at least able to get up and running! Thanks again!

2 people like this.
  10. Arnoud

Arnoud New Member

I also had problems with the printer "throwing the z-nuts"
    In my case the z-axis switch was wrongfully placed as mentioned by Ziggy.

After changing the switch the printer still throwed the z-nuts sometimes. In my case it was because a bit of cold filament was sticking out of the extruder. When starting a print the printer would send the head to the home position. which could not be reached by the cold filament. I had also found out that the back of my bed had an z-axis calibration error of almost 1mm, coursing al my object not sticking to the bed when printed on the back of the bed.

For correcting this problem, I have changed the connection of the glass (bed) to the y-axis rail.

I have used these bed levelers: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125626
    and for the lockingnuts I have printed these (scaled to fit m3, drilled a hole in it and glued it at the bold): http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:194184

20140316_214118.jpg

This mod gave me the option to calibrate the hole bed and it gave me the advantage that if the printhead moved to low (by wrong calibration or by some cold filament still sticking out of the extruder) the bed glass is pushed down instead of the printer "throwing the z-nuts"

I have the printer now for about 5 days and have added 8 mods so far:
    - filament holder at the top of the printer.
    - z rail stabilizers http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:126873
    - z-axis switch
    - bed levelers
    - extra fan at for fuse f2. heated bed cooled down after a few minutes, resulting my print object coming loose.
    - printer feed, for creating room to place the fan.
    - capton tape round nut in gear for feading the filament
    - capton tape round nuts of z-axis nuts (for less easy throwing, be aware though: they do have to be thrown if the head goes to low!)

Hope these mods can help you to!

2 people like this.
  11. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

[quote="cosber, post: 14569, member: 402"I found turning it around gave me more leeway for adjusting the z-stop. I didn't have to have it down so low to trigger the switch.[/quote]

Doesn't really matter but I don't understand this. The microswitch holder clamp and be adjusted anywhere you want relative to the Z height screw. Being on the lever or above the contact will not matter for "leeway in adjusting".

2 people like this.
  12. da9l

da9l Member

I've had my robo since september and I've had the same kind of problems with thrown z-nuts.

The z-limit switch sits on the X=max side and Home XYZ is on X=0.

For me, when the extruder is on the X=0 side the weight of it is not enough to push the X=Max side down onto the Z-limit switch. The X=max side get's stuck before it reaches the switch and therefore the nozzle hits the bed before the z-limit switch.

I added some extra weight to the X=max side and that seems to have improved the situation for me. I'll send a pic from my mobile.

Regards, Daniel

2 people like this.
  13. cosber

cosber Active Member

[quote="SteveC, post: 14601, member: 378"Doesn't really matter but I don't understand this. The microswitch holder clamp and be adjusted anywhere you want relative to the Z height screw. Being on the lever or above the contact will not matter for "leeway in adjusting".[/quote]

My z-height screw was almost as far down as it could go. When I turned the switch, I was able to raise the screw up high enough to where I could make finer adjustments. I guess possibly the switch may be mounted too low, but since that was the way it came, I didn't want to mess with it.

2 people like this.
  14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

HEY CHRIS contact me I can probably get you running fairly quickly have done it several times before with many other people all of the worl with their ROBOs 50 + at this point

SKYPE works best as we can chat and send images easily and fast check my profile for the info. All of your issues are quite common

2 people like this.
  15. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

FYI the bottom of my switch clamp is a bit over 3cm above the black base platform. The 10cm z-height screw is centered in the X bracket. When I got my printer I has to tighten the switch clamp quite a bit to prevent it from slipping down.

2 people like this.
  16. Madgrayhatt3r

Madgrayhatt3r New Member

I am having the same issue with my heated bed. It is definitely about 1mm higher in the middle than at the left and right limits. This is terribly frustrating! Is there a fix for this other than buying a new bed? or is this covered by Robo3d? I haven't even had mine two weeks yet, and I am ready to go Office Space on it as well!

Thanks in advance

MadGrayHatt3r

17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Out of curiousity do you have a straightedge you can actually lay down on the bed to see this or is it possible it is something else. I am not saying it is the case but that is a severe warp standards I have seen say for lengths less the 28" a 1/32 bow of warpage within a 12 inch span is acceptable but you are seeing something 3 times that. Another thing you could possible s check is that the bolting of the bed to the rails is not causing it maybe a loosening of the screws and then a slow sequential re tightening may be all that is needed.

2 people like this.
  18. Madgrayhatt3r

Madgrayhatt3r New Member

I have thoroughly cleaned the heat bed with acetone, and then a lint free cloth. Using PLA with blue painters tape on the bed, I have only about a 4" x 4" area in the exact middle of the bed that I can print on... this is a major problem as I want to use the full 8" x 8" area for prints. The problem is that the edges of my prints significantly lift up off of the bed if they go beyond this 4x4 area. Drafts are not an issue as I have installed plexiglass doors on my ROBO, also, my prints are printed on top of a raft for extra support. I have tightened the belts, loosened and re-loosened the print bed screws sequentially, with no luck. I get the same results with ABS, prints are ok if they are small and centered on the bed within the 4x4 area. When I level the print head following the ROBO directions, the tip wants to strike the center of the heat bed when moved side to side, and there is a VERY noticeable amount of light under the tip at the left and right edges after I raise the print head so that it does not strike the middle of the plate. Using a straight edge, it is very evident that the bed is in fact warped. I haven't even had my printer a month yet, and can only print small things. Anyone know if ROBO will replace my bed?

Thanks,

MadGrayHatt3r

19. Madgrayhatt3r

Madgrayhatt3r New Member

Hi Chris,

Have you made any progress with your ROBO? I am having very similar issues to yours.

Thanks,

MadGrayHatt3r

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You can always check with them show them in an image how unlevel it is and they may get you another one, the straight edge should show it easily

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.