1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Need help!! Ready to throw away.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Christopher Kiraly, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

The funny thing is that my bed is warped exactly opposite. All edges are higher than the center. Not as bad as your's, it's just that the edges print a very thin first layer. I'm hoping that the new Y axis upgrade with the thicker 4mm glass will help.

2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

In the printer settings under extruder I think, there is a setting to retract the z height when moving. I set mine to 0.30mm

I notice that I can print squared objects without issue. As soon as it starts to print a circular shape, the filament is being lifted from the bed/print. Circles seem to print really fast.

Anyone know how to slow that down?

I also noticed that after an area is filled in, the nozzle will move to another position. Before it does, the nozzle will push off the bed and if it does it takes the filament already stuck on the bed, and lifts it. Hmm, real annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Peter what slicer did you use when it did the push off the bed thing? Is the bed actually pushed down a bit so it squishes into the lower layer, sticks to it and pulls it up?

4. Peter Krska

Using MC Slic3r and tried it on Repetier. I think my z axis screw is set incorrectly. I tried to level my bed using the paper trick. I am then setting the z axis height screw till I hear a click.

It's so sensitive that a slight turn make a big difference. How do you level and set your z axis and screw?

I notice that my first layer is (brim) is a bit round or too low and nothing showing. So I adjust the z axis on one side holding the other till I see a nice flat looking line. I notice that the second time around it some time lifts the starting position and if I continue sometimes I get another nice flat line ontop of the existing. The lifted stuff I have to discard otherwise it will get in the way.

As it goes around again 6 times. I notice that the Filene is really hard and dry and gets
    Lifted
    Off the bed. Should the bed be hotter?

Sometimes the print will make a skirt, failing in the 2nd pass but stays there slightly lifted.

It then prints a nice middle fill but is detached from the skirt.

I think I need to increase the temp of my bed so that the filament doesn't dry up and cool down so fast. The other issue is the z axis screw adjustment and z axis level.'

Any tips on getting that accomplished without too much pain?

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

that is one way to do but in my opinion the best by far
    you have the right steps but not neccesarily in the correct order

try using this setup procedure and I know you will be setup properly
    the one thing that would be better is to use a business card for reason I will explain in a bit
    when I say a specific location like x0 y100 it does nto have to be accurate just somewhat close and you should not use teh notor to move you there just move them by hand if they do not move the hit the stop motor button it is just easier
    • start at x0 y100 on the bed and use the threaded rod on the left side to adjust the nozzle lower until the business card fits snugly between the bed and the nozzle then move teh nozzle to xMAX y100 and this time hold the left rod and adjust the lower rod until it is as close to the same snugness as it was on teh left side. Now repeat both sides because things can move so check both sides again and make sure they are both equally snug. This basically at point 1 in the image below
    Now at this point what you have done is level the x axis to the bed that is the only thing you use the threaded rods for they should not be touched again unless you throw the nuts somehow. A lot of people mistakenly use these to get the first layer flat but in addition to that they are UNLEVELING the x axis across the bed and in most case the first layer is only affected at the point on the first layer where you stopped adjusting it.

So do not touch the threaded rods any more unless you are actually trying to adjust the levelness of the x axis

• The z adjustment screw is the proper and only thing you can use that will adjust the x axis AND maintain its levelness so as you have down lower the screw until you just hear the switch click.What you have done now is to bring the entire x axis down to a point where the entire axis as a single unit is very close to the bed. This is point 2 in the image
    This is as close as you can get it accurately without printing and now you use the actual skirt of the print to tell you if it is too high or too low or good.

filamentcross.jpg

Most people get it a bit closer but end up at point 3 and prints will fail you are close to this in your current setup
    • What you should do now is to start a print and stop it right after the skirt is done hopefully it looks like this
    first layer example-text.jpg
    this image is at point 4 in the first image the layer is flattened enough to make the edges of the skirt meet this is what I consider being PUT DOWN on the bed prior to this level the filament is simply being laid down with nothing really available to help it stick

Once you get a firstlyaer to look nice and flat then you are pretty much done and you should not usually have to touch things much maybe if you change filaments but not if youa re just starting new prints

As I said USUALLY but what I do is follow this one rule
    start a print if the skirt looks good continue if it does not the stop the print right there and adjust things and restart

the adjustment is only using the z height screw and nothing else using the rods will work faster but you end up as I said simply making the x axis unlevel
    As you said at this point in the fine adjustments it does not take a huge adjustment of the z screw so it should be easy

4 people like this.
  6. Peter Krska

So that's what I've been doing wrong!

Thanks a million. Now for trying to get it to stick to bed issue!

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

if you get it to the 4th point with normal hairspray with those two chems in it your prints should stick well

8. Peter Krska

Found Aqua Net Extra hold Blue bottle. It has those 2 chems. Will try it.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

If you get everything else setup correctly you will ho problem with that at all no more tape at all

10. Peter Krska

Oops, Aqua Net hairspray is not available here is Canada.

The brand I bought was called Alberto European Extra Hold Unscented

It has the 2 chemicals in it and it's working. Whew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

those chems are the key

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.