1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved New Hot End deadish printer???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mikejsmith1985, Dec 4, 2015.

1. mikejsmith1985

mikejsmith1985 New Member

I can't find anyone else who has managed to do this so let me share. I had issues with my hexagon, and upgraded to the E3Dv6... (should have listened to Mike Kelly and stuck with the Hexagon at this point)

So I got the kit and ordered the 2 pin terminals from Amazon so I could just terminate the wires on the v6 and plug into the existing wiring harness, and ordered the stud thermistor so I don't have to mess with firmware.

During this process I removed the wiring harness from carriage assembly only. Tonight I took care of the wiring of the v6 hotend so I could plug into the stock wiring harness. I bolted everything together except for the cooling fan as I'll have to print the new version once I'm running again... hooked up the wiring flipped the printer on, No fans, No LEDs... I can hook the USB cable up and connect to the printer perform bed leveling and move the x y & z axes independently, but the extruder stepper won't work. The heated bed worked on the first attempt but now doesn't seem to be heating up any longer.

I'm assuming I've somehow fried something but I don't really know how I could have considering I kept the stock wiring...

Any thoughts on this?

2. mikejsmith1985

Went through the video on the electrical system and I've determined that using the stock wiring harness the biggest mistake I could make is plugging a fan in backwards. I think I may have had an electrical issue and the first symptoms were a hotend not staying hot and me chasing down clogs that were only there because the hotend was too cold to melt it... I have to wait till Monday to do a Skype call and see if we can determine exactly what failed and if warranty will cover it...

So I got the bright idea to swap my x axis and extruder the extruder stepper motor can now be activated by modulating my x axis proving that the motor is good and there is in fact a problem in the board... whether its the Arduino or ramps I'm not sure I would guess potentially both but I'll keep this thread up to date as I find a resolution.

#2 mikejsmith1985, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mikejsmith1985

So my wife (who bought the printer for me for my birthday last month) surprised me this evening when she solved my problem. She came home with a new printer from Microcenter and they agreed to take my faulty printer back as an "exchange" scenario. So whether Robo would warranty repair or not I guess doesn't matter at this point (although I'm betting they would" the new printer is up and running. I'll be using the hexagon, till all the appropriate parts are printed for the v6. Unfortunately I don't think this thread will add much value but It is resolved and I did learn a lot about the printer from this failure and this forum!