1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

new mwthode to measure the z-height

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Christian, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Christian

Christian New Member

Hi all,

i think i have an new idea to measure the z-height of the printer. See picture added. The idea is to measure the electricalresistance on the rod guide.

one end of the measure electrical line will attached to the lower end of the rod guide (red line) the other end will attached on the extruder slider rod. so this should end up in an grindingagainstood an we can measure the resistance ,and calculate the height of the z-level.

BUT: i am not an electrical engineur, so anyone who can do this job and post the solution on this board. mybe this is something for the robo3d team.

it also hase to be implemented to the adruino controle i think.

thanks for help!

Attached Files:

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Hi Christian,
    The guide rod will have an extremely small resistance that will not be easily measurable. Any resistance measured from the guide rod bottom to the slider bearing will be due to dirt or oxide on the guide rod and bearing. I encourage you to keep coming up with ideas.

3. Christian

Christian New Member

4. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

this looks interesting. how would you incorporate that into the printer?

5. Christian

Christian New Member

Hi, if i am right, this is my way of solution. The Linear SoftPod should be assambled behind the right (or left) z-axes. If the extruder slider moves down the z-axis the Linear SoftPod should indicate some other electricalresistance.

what do you think about this idea?

Attached Files:

6. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

as I have not yet received the printer I cannot comment of If it is a good idea but what does this thing do? wold it help with bed levelling? what is your main goal and how would it connect up to the printer?

seems like a good plan tho

7. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

woah- hold on. is that a easy filament feeder? what hot end is that? or is this the older version of the printer?

8. Christian

Christian New Member