1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sofiadragon1979, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sofiadragon1979

For some reason my printer is now not connecting to the computer @ all. I had it set on comm 5 but now it is saying that comm 5 is taken & that the printer cannot connect @ all. Any suggestions as to what is going on & how I can fix this so I can get back to printing.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Plug it into a different USB port*.
    Reloading the driver might help too.

*[assuming this is windows. If it is A Mac--good luck (powered USB hub maybe?)
    If it is Linux then why haven't you recompiled the kernel already?]

3. sofiadragon1979

I've tried every USB port that I have & I still can't get it to connect & yes it's a windows com.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Is it (Windows) making the connection noise when you plug the USB cable in (the funky little two-tone beep)?
    Are there any lights on below the deck of the printer*?

Does device manager show anything with it connected (assuming you get the beep)?
    (Open device manager and unplug/plug it and see)

*not sure if you can see these on the newer ones with the bottom cover in place, but you might can see the lights from the top-side looking down.

5. sofiadragon1979

Ok, I had the device manager open I was going to ask you which one I should be looking @ 'cause I didn't see any difference & then all of a sudden it connected 'cause I had MC open & it said that it was connected & now it's printing a file out, lets hope this goes well this time *crosses fingers*

3 people like this.
  6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I find connecting to these boards to be a little screwy, not just on the robo, but on a number of different printers. If you install repetier host, it seems to connect to that a little easier than to matter control. Sometimes you have to adjust baud rate as well.

7. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Out of Cura, Matter Control, Repetier Host, and Simplify 3D I found Matter Control to be the worst. Repetier Host is the best free option and S3D the best paid option that I've used.

8. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Repetier doesn't show anything in the view window. I have a laptop Windows Vista. Basic video card, even though I installed the drivers.

Cura and Matter Control show the viewport MC seems to crash too often when changing anything.

I installed the latest version of Repetier and it still has an error in the viewport.

Lately I'm using Cura I has a touching build plate option that works great. Minimal support when needed.

I plan on Santa to upgrade my computer soon!!!

Any suggestion on what to get? Windows 7, or 8?

Anyone have problems with Windows 8 and the 3D printing programs mentioned above?

9. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I must admit Cura's interface is nice but I prefer to use Slic3r, hence Repetier Host.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, not really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.