1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved New XXL LCD Causing Bed to Shutdown

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ballhogjoni, Aug 21, 2016.

1. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

So I got the XXL LCD from print solid and its causing the bed to shutdown when it hits 70 degrees. I've tested this by having it connected without the robo3d connected to my macbook pro. I then tested it with both the XXL and Macbook connected and same problem. The next test proves that it's something wrong with the XXL or a bad setting. Last test I disconnected the XXL completely and just started a print with my Macbook and mattercontrol. No problems with bed now. Does any body know what the problem could be with my XXL?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Not sure how the LCD would have much to do about bed temp and shutting down. Is it only during a print or just doing a prepare of heating both the hotend and the bed? What filament are you printing with a bed temp of 70 out of curiosity?

3. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

It happens with both cases. I'm using PLA.

4. danzca6

PLA...probably just need 50...but either way...that shouldn't happen. And the ribbon cables for the LCD look ok and are secure? Wonder if there is some sort of short or something.

5. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

Ya i checked that too. Everything looks ok and will even start the preheat but shuts down the bed after that 70 degrees.

6. danzca6

ok...using my LCD now to warm bed to 76C...will see what happens. Got mine from Matt as well and it is an XXL

7. danzca6

Ok went to 76 no issues and held just fine. Most I have had mine up to since I just do PLA and don't need anything over 50C. I'd suggest a PID tuning of the bed heater, but if you are fine without the LCD at those temps then that is odd. No error on the LCD or in the Terminal window of Matter Control?

8. danzca6

Tagging @Printed Solid just in case Matt comes on tonight and has any ideas.

9. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

So after doing some research I think it has nothing to do with the XXL. I watched this video
    and it seemed to fix this guys problem. Looks like an overheating problem. So I will do this and let you guys know if it helps.

10. danzca6

but you already have a fan on the RAMPS right? Is it plugged in and working? He is working on a beta version.

11. danzca6

oh, maybe not since your account is from 2013...then yes...maybe this would work. Always best to cool the ramps.

12. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

Ya i don't have a fan on mine. I bought the first version years ago. Just started getting back into 3d printing.

13. danzca6

also, after watching his video again...goofball Jerry...there is a better place to plug in the fan. Blue circle shows where and the red and black is identified as well.

ramps1-4connectors for cooling fan.png

14. danzca6

yeah...no fan...means crazy stuff happens...can't believe robo ever shipped without...rookie mistake on their part :)

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The original beta had no bottom cover so the overheating on the RAMPS was less of a problem. Not impossible, just less frequent.
    I have a fan out the side of the case by the RAMPS on two Betas here. Worth the few bucks expense and little bit of time to add.

danzca6 likes this.