1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

newbie needing alittle help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ant, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ant

ant New Member

Hi guys I've received my printer last Fri spent nearly to days trying to get it working . For some reason my extruder doesn't heat up ? Also I've try ed moving my x y z axis manually in repetier but no movement . I'm really puzzled .
    The first time when I thought I was set up it ran for 3mins printing a model . I have to stop job as it didn't stick to base of printer .
    Now nothing . Anyone any ideas
    I'd be very grateful for any help thanks in advance

2. ant

ant New Member

Just try ed again repetier says it's heating extruder but I can hold finger on tip and isn't even warm . Same with bed says it's heating but not warm to touch .
    Also when I try moving manually via repetier nothing happens

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

What does Repetier say the temperature is?

You've probably already done this but did you home the axis before trying to move them manually?

4. ant

ant New Member

Repetier says 190 from 20 but cold to touch and yes bed and motors move fine manually

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Sorry - when I said manually I meant did you try to move them manually with the Repetier control tab controls, after using the home commands on that tab?

"Repetier says 190 from 20"​

Does this mean target 190C, current 20C? If so the thermistor is probably working OK. Sorry for a dumb question but - Repetier says it connected to the printer OK? Strange, seems like nothing is working.

Maybe someone else can chime in but I will have to think about this more...

6. ant

ant New Member

Yes it connects and just says idle. If I use the up down left right etc or home buttons nothing happens .

And yes target temp is 190
    Current temp 20
    But when I turn heaters on manually in repetier temp says it's going up but cold to touch

Thanks for your help

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Ok - definitely email robo support! Another stupid question - is the power supply on? Is 12V coming out of the switching supply's terminals? If the fuse in the switch assembly good? The Arduino Mega control board is powered by the USB port if the Robo's switching supply is off and it may look like it is working but the Repetier software will have no idea that there is no power to the steppers or heaters. The heater MOSFETs and stepper drivers will try to work but there will be no 12V supply for them to drive out.

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

*If the fuse == Is the fuse

9. ant

ant New Member

When I turn printer on I can see the fan underneath runs ok . I've put tester on board the power in bit and yes there is power

10. ant

ant New Member

Even try ed changing usb lead seams like computer and printer not talking

11. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Did you ever have you computer and printer connected? Have you checked your printer setting to make sure baud rate and com are set right?

12. ant

ant New Member

Yea it all set up fine . If I change port says not connected . Followed the book to the letter on set up

13. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Try typing the M115 gcode into the manual tab to see if it echos back the firmware rev in the status area as a check to see if the PC and Marlin firmware are at least talking. Come to think of it when you first connect I think this should come out on status line anyways.

Example: M115
    Request the Firmware Version and Capabilities of the current microcontroller The details are returned to the host computer as key:value pairs separated by spaces and terminated with a linefeed.
    sample data from firmware:
    ok PROTOCOL_VERSION:0.1 FIRMWARE_NAME:FiveD FIRMWARE_URL:http%3A//reprap.org MACHINE_TYPE:Mendel EXTRUDER_COUNT:1

14. ant

ant New Member

not really sure about gcode but tried it and results are
    18:48:46.137 : FIRMWARE_NAME:RepetierVirtualPrinter FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/ PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Mendel EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 REPETIER_PROTOCOL:1

15. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

So the USB ports are probably OK in both directions although M115 is not sending a lot of data to prove it conclusively. Maybe someone else here will have more ideas but I am a bit lost. I suggest passing this info to the Robo support email.

When you send a manual command do any error messages pop up on the manual tab or in the status area?

I have other ideas to help debug this but it starts involving using a voltmeter as a logic probe on some of the RAMPS board signals and some other Gcode sequences. To do this you might want to have some experience in not shorting the wrong conductors together. I have a lot of experience with shorting things together ;)

All the RAMPS board info it here:
    http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4
    http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/c/ca/Arduinomega1-4connectors.png
    http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/f/f6/RAMPS1.4schematic.png

16. ant

ant New Member

a manual command just says the code, for example when I press home I get g28 *5 no idea what that is lol.
    but no faults or anything , just says idle in top of manual screen

17. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Can't say I have had that happen... I am at a loss as well.

Do you get a blinking light off the arduino board even with the printer off? Try hitting the connect icon on reipeter host.

18. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

G28 just means home. So it is echoing what it thinks it should be doing but it is not moving. OK so I am also at a loss as to why everything is dead but the firmware looks like it is running fine. Keep emailing Robo support and let us know how it is resolved.

19. ant

ant New Member

Still no joy. Fitted e3d hotend with new thermistor . Still no movement or heat on mashine:(
    Emailed robo just awaiting reply

20. ant

ant New Member

I've installed matter control. in printer configuration it's telling me unable to connect
    . Try ed different usb lead . So still stuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.