1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered no filament movement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by crazyshakespeare, May 14, 2016.

1. crazyshakespeare

Im praying the collective can help me with this one....

So I have been printing without any issues since the printer arrived in November.Today on five different instances and at different points in the print, filament stops feeding. Thinking it might be a clog I ripped into,,,i was proven correct....problem fixed? wrong!!! Then check the tensioners, since the filament seems to be somewhat chewed....not that either. I then check temp...Im using ABS so I usually print around 225, so I move it up to 235 and start a new print....same thing happens. Im at a loss, I can push the filament out, so i know its not a clog or a temp issue....ive adjusted the tensioners to multiple positions....broke down the hotend and reinstalled, so I'm stumped. I hope someone out there might have a solution

PS I thought about upgrading my hotted while it was broken down...but I guess that won't do me any good if the filament randomly stops feeding.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Does the extruded motor stop turning when it happens? Is the hobbled bolt full of filament?

3. crazyshakespeare

I believe the Motor keeps moving and I know that the hobble is clean....even cleaned it a second time to make sure lol

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

And its not cutting a notch in the filament ?

5. crazyshakespeare

it is cutting a notch in the filament and chewing it up slightly below it. I have adjusted it every which way

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a hotend jam holding you up. But possibly in the cold end. Is the small fan running ?

7. crazyshakespeare

It will print....sometime 3/4 of the way then stop....would that still be a jam? The small can is running .

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm. That is an odd one. Give me a sec i had better do some re reading

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok so it feeds filament fine then at random points during the print it stops feeling filament and the filament appears chewed.

My absolute first thought is a partial or small jam, probably in the nozzle.
    Edit: does the flow out of the nozzle look even and nice or kind of thin

I did have similar issues on a roll of petg that was oversized randomly. The bore of the hex is 1.8, anything higher than 1.77 and i had bad issues. Pull it out cut.off some start again and it would work until the big spots in the filament again.