1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered No plastic coming out of extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JOAQUIN PICCI, Jul 11, 2015.

1. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

buy a ROBO 3D in New York last week and brought to Argentina , where I'm from . The problem is that followed all the steps in the Getting started and on first impressions wait out the plastic from the extruder and when I began printing, the machine did all the moves but left very weak plastic , like a thin thread.
    I stopped the machine and reloaded stl file. The problem started here. NEVER came out plastic from extruusor again. I tried everything but still not out plastic from extruder.. I don't want to open extruder cause i think i would mess it... I tried EVERYTHING, i manually pushed filament trough the hole and nothing.

What can i do? I pre-heat to 210° and then put the fillament. I'm using the one that came with robo

2. David BOles

David BOles Member

Make sure it has fully heated up and insert the filament. Go to the manual control page and press release. Manually rotate the top of the big extruder gear away from you. Three possibilities:

1: It works fine: You should see plastic stream out the nozzle.
    2: You loaded the filament incorrectly: Most likely. It's fairly hard to load the filament on ROBO3Ds for the first time. Usually, unmented plastic come out the back.
    3: It's clogged: Let us know what happens when you test it and we'll let you know what to do from there.

3. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

Remove the extruder and was all covered in melted plastic , empty the extruder and succeed in making a ring perfectly. The problem now is that when I load the plastic and manually turn the gear, the molten plastic goes well ... but when I pressed the button to start printing the machine does all the movement but does not leave plastic . It would seem that the problem is that the extruder is much sticks to the worktable

4. David BOles

David BOles Member

If you can extrude manually, your z-offset is probably too low (the number representing the difference from where the Z switch is triggered and where the plate actually is). Your extruder is just pushed against the glass so no plastic can come out. (make sure you unload the filament and make sure its extruding fine manually, the motor can grind through the filament if it can't push it) To change your Z-offset,

MatterControl using Matterslice: There's a z-offset setting under Printer->General
    Any program or slicer: find your start g-code and add the line "M565 Z#" (# representing the number, no quotes)

Play around with the setting a bit (make sure to press preheat after canceling prints to test more quickly), for you, I would raise it about a 10mm to make sure you are extruding correctly without it near the bed. Then lower it to the point where the plastic barely sticks to the bed. Finally, decrease it by 0.025 - 0.1mm slowly until the individual plastic strands touch. You may still have to tweak it but that's a good starting point.

5. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

I have to change "BUILD HEIGHT? Its in 200 mm

Another thing, the temperature when i pre heat is in 210 degrees

i TURNED robo off and then y started again the same. this is the result:

Attached Files:

6. David BOles

David BOles Member

Not build height, Z-Offset. Build height is the maximum height it can go to, you don't want to change that. Did you modify any settings before taking that picture?

7. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

Nope i didnt, Now there is not plastic coming out the extrusor again. I'm very dissapointed with this printer... i cannot make it work. I 've to take it to someone who fixes this machines.. and i am from argentina i bought it from amazon.

8. David BOles

David BOles Member

Calm down, no printer works perfectly out of the box, especially an $800 one, and this is just a simple calibration problem. I just had this problem a few days ago, its just a simple user error, although I heartily agree that they should beef up their documentation for those new to 3d printing. For now, unload your filament (you may want to undo the two screw/springs to get to it better in case the filament broke, make sure not to lose any parts) , cut off the end, load it back in, lift the extruder off the bed, and extrude manually. Does that work? Usually if your z-offset is wrong and you try to print, the plastic can't come out so the motor can't push any down. if that happens, it will either chew through the filament or bend it. Either way, you have to feed it new filament or it won't be able to extrude.

9. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

the plastic is melted jam and plugging the extruder. For the fifth time that day I have to take everything apart and put it into a torch. Hotend disarmament so many times that the tube that separates the parties through which the plastic is folded ... I have to buy a new one .

I do not think it's just a calibration problem ... i've been having problems since i unbox the theft .. Plastic melted , offset problem , etc ..

10. David BOles

David BOles Member

What did you mean by:
    "Hotend disarmament so many times that the tube that separates the parties through which the plastic is folded ... I have to buy a new one."

If you never fixed the z-offset issue then of course you would keep having the same extrusion problem.

11. David BOles

David BOles Member

Why do you have to take the extruder apart? It shouldn't be getting clogged...

12. Frankn

Frankn Member

From your description, it sounds like you are leaking from the heat break ( That' _DSC0002.jpg s the threaded tube that connects the finned tower to the lower hot end). This is usually an assembly problem! When you put it back together, first, screw the heat break into the finned top portion. Then screw the nozzle all the way into the hot end block then BACK IT OFF one full turn. Now screw the heat break all the way down to the nozzle. Now last, but most important is to screw the nozzle in tightly against the heat break. It doesn't matter if the nozzle doesn't bottom up against the hot end block.

To get the proper nozzle height, do the paper adjustment. The instructions on screen will guide you thru.
    Hay, it took me a week to figure out the basics, and I am still learning. Frank

13. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

I think i fucked up the termistor.. Matter control is not showing temperature now of bed and extruder..

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either a broken connection or a bad thermistor.
    The good news is that they are not expensive.

15. Frankn

Frankn Member

The temps don't show up right away. Select a filament and a model and they might start indicating. Frank

16. Edwin3d

Edwin3d Member

Be happy if you broke your hotend. Good reason to buy a E3D v6 HotEnd :) Since i installed mine, all my extrusion problems are gone. I bought the lite for under 25 euro (30USD).

Dont worry about not getting good printresults right away, this will take some time and effort. I had many many problems and i managed to fix them all (with this community). Now i fully understand the essential basics of the machine AND i get to print great results.
    I did break a lot (Ramps, arduino board and steppers) but replacement parts are really cheap.