1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NOOB QUESTION =O)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS, Jan 11, 2016.

1. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

I opened Cura and by default it has a 100mm/sec print speed for a Robo 3D R1 profile. I loaded a latticed skull lamp shade with a 0.4mm nozzel and a 0.2mm layer height and 80mm/sec. If I knock it down to say 40 would my print come out with finer detail aside form the lay height ridges?

How can the Ultimaker 2+ get 20micron resolutions and the Robo only 100 microns with the same sized nozzel and print speed? Please forgive me I am new and I prefer detail and am aware this takes a lot more time.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You won't get any better detail with speed necessarily. That does come into play, but there is more. The nozzle size doesn't dictate Z resolution. It does dictate how fine of surface detail you can have. So if a single line/ridge on the model is .2 mm, your printer/slicer will not print it unless you have a nozzle <= .2mm in size. It also requires slower speeds because of the time it takes to extrude. You can go below 100 micron with the Robo. You just need a well tuned machine to get that fine. There are threads here of folks going 50 micron. I've done 100 microns with no problem. The UM2 can get finer and faster because of the way it is engineered. If you look at the new R2 that Robo was showing at CES, they are claiming the same z resolution and speeds as UM. A lot of that has to do with the way things are built as far as stability and the way things move. The R2/UM have the build plate just move up and down (Z). X and Y are far more controlled as well. The big box from E3D is similar as well. It all comes down to design and quality of parts used. Sorry for the late night ramble. Hopefully this makes sense or helps in some way.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS If you want definitive information about the design of the Robo R1 series, just do a Google search on the open-source Mendel90, it is based off of that particular variant of the Prusa open-source 3D printer. There is also a ton of material on gantry style printers like the Ultimaker series. Please note that there is no perfect 3D printer, all have design strengths and weaknesses. That is why there are so many ways to skin this cat. If you are looking for the ultimate in speed, many move to a Delta design, precision maybe a gantry style. Ideally the less moving parts, or lowest moving mass may be what wins when 3D printers become mainstream (as when makers, that's us, are just a small sub-segment of the 3D printer market), once Dell, HP, Epson, Samsung, etc. all create proprietary closed designs fit for the consumer that really believes the hype and thinks 3D printers are really just printers and not small manufacturing tools.

4. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

Waldo thanks for the good information. I'm not looking for speed. I'm looking for quality. I want my customers to know that they will get a good part and not something that looks like "I" glued a bunch of stacks of shredded paper together. I know that SLA is great but it's too expensive for me now. Maybe when I sell a few drones I can get a Pegasus or something.

By the way I heard on YouTube about an SLA type printer that uses a powder or something and when the part is done it has no lines. I heard they run about $20K for a used one.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You can experiment with SLA types of printer if you want, open an account on iMaterialize, Shapeways, Sculpteo or any of the other bigger servies, they will print your design using SLA in any of a number of materials. It will show you where the mainstream is today.