1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Noob Questions

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TylerJ, Dec 21, 2015.

1. TylerJ

TylerJ New Member

I'm new to 3D printing. I've played with my R1+ for about a week non-stop. Mostly stuff on Thingiverse but a few things I've made in TinkerCAD. I can generally learn things by just playing with them, but I do have a few questions that others may be able to help.
    1. Does the Robo3D R1 +Plus already have the Lead Screw Upgrade from Robo3D?
    2. What happens if the power blinks while it's printing?
    3. Can you plug the printer into a UPS? (I know you're not supposed to use laser printers with UPS's)
    4. I use glue sticks on the bed. I remove any loose pieces after removing the print.
      4a. Should I reapply glue after every print?
      4b. Should I completely clean the bed after every print?
    5. What purpose does the first few layers around the object serve?
    Thanks in advance, you guys have helped me so much already.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

1. Yes
    2. IT will reboot the Arduino and destroy a print in progress. They make a UPS for that :)
    3. See #2
    4. There is no one magic sauce for everyone. You will need to find out what works best for you. There are an assortment of methods to make things stick (painters tape, glue stick, hairspray, ABS juice, etc.). I, for example, just use hairspray on the bare glass,
    5. ? You mean the skirt? It allows you to make sure the layer is going down correctly before you start the model and it primes the nozzle. You can disable it if you prefer.

Home_user likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The single biggest suggestion for starting out is test, test, test.
    Make yourself a collection of test models that are small and easy to print and use those to calibrate as needed.

I have attached a couple for examples.
    You an find others.

Attached Files: