1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Noob tips for Noobs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Racegrafix, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Luke,
    Depends on what you used to stick the PLA onto the bed. Most hairspray will dissolve in water or wood alcohol.

(You probably want to start a new thread for a question like this.)

2. luketheyeti

luketheyeti Member

I swear I saw someone talking about print beds in here :p but hey, I got an answer! I just got mine and will be starting a master thread of all my questions as soon as I'm done organizing my notes :D

3. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

I can't recommend this enough. Husky 1 1/2" scrapper chisel. scrapes plastic and removes prints from the bed like butter. The cricket spatula behind it, I haven't touched it since I bought this from Home Depot for like 7 bucks. Seriously, between needle tweezers and this. Top two needed tools period.

[​IMG]

4. luketheyeti

luketheyeti Member

This is exactly what I need right now, I'm having a terrible time getting my calibration cubes off the print bed and was about to start a thread about it :D

Also should I let the print bed cool/heat it up before removing PLA? I haven't bought the cricut yet so I've been using various things around the house to pry calibration cubes off my print bed and most of my efforts have warped them at least a little (mostly a lot).

5. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Definitely let it cool. It makes a difference. It's actually a thing that the colder a print is, the easier it is to remove off the bed. Without tape at least. Tape holds pretty well.
    Once you get really dialed in, (took me 2 months) your parts will pop right off, its really about that initial layer being just right. Pressed down but not overly. from the start I used blue tape that stuck to the bottom of the print and was tough to remove, but finaly got it to remove clean after a while. Now I'm not using tape at all and just glass and hairspray.

6. luketheyeti

luketheyeti Member

Yeah my first layers have been too tight, gonna relevel tomorrow night. Also good to know colder is better, these should fix most of my problems. I also have 2 shiny new chisel scrapers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.