1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Not a robo3d problem, but filament problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wthierry, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I have been using this filament from amazon from a company called Sainsmart. I am crazy about their PLA, but still questioning their ABS... Regardless, the problem I have with the PLA is as the spool gets closer to the end, the circles from the spool in the filament become so tight that it breaks off while printing sometimes. Has anyone else dealt with this? Or have you had any work arounds for a similar situation? Or do you have suggestions for other filament that doesnt have this problem....

thanks
    wes

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I like the spools toybuilderlabs or protoparadigm uses. Not too small of inner diameter

Out of curiosity what is the diameter?

3. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

its got to be about 2 inches...

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah that's like octave/robo3d filaments. It gets too tight and does what you describe.

I also bought some eSun filament that has the same size spool, but haven't tried it yet

5. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Yea, the problem makes the last 1/4 to 1/3 pound of filament unusable.. Lol, maybe someone has to come up with a 3d filament warmer to straighten it! I notice on spools like from printrbot the filament is loosly wound... I wonder if there is a key to this somewhere... I hate wasting so much filament!

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Storing in in a dehydrated bag or box can help with brittleness. Also it's probably less weight than that :)

Most spools are wound to the same tension

7. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Can you buy "GOOD QUALITY" PLA filament not on a spool and spool it yourself as needed?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

spooling filament is a tremendous PITA. If you want to spool your own I would suggest buying a filastruder and pellets. Would be cheaper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.