1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Nozzle distance to bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Arbi, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Arbi

Arbi Member

I am using my Robo3D with Repitier and it works ok for most of the time, however since the first layer touches the bed it only creates marks and when 2nd layer starts it starts extruding . Now i want to know the exact location in Repitier software that i can change the distance of nozzle to bed to increase a bit so the first layer starts extruding ( rather than 2nd )

Does anyone know where exactly that setting is ? Also may i know the correct distance of nozzle to bed ?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

we need to have a sticky about initial tuning and setup. Maybe some settings for various programs.

Anyway. the distance to the bed is around 1 mm.

You can set it more precisely in repetier by using the paper method.
    home the head, and raise the print head up 1.5-2mm then lower it till it just grabs the paper (.01mm adjustments) then read your Z position, set that as your Z offset in repetier OR leave repetier's setting at 0 and add it in starting g code anywhere before the G29.
    M565 Z-1.1; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism (1.1 is my offset)

3. Arbi

Arbi Member

thank you for the quick respond . ok i did the paper part. It grabs the paper when it is exactly zero. Now may i know exactly what i should add before G29 code ?

4. Arbi

Arbi Member

i am sorry it grabs about .01 mm

5. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

that's odd. Are you sure you're letting it slide. It should be just touching.
    I've never seen anyone say theirs was that close. Usually .8-1.5
    I got nuttin for that. I would say your Z offset would be 0 IF that is truly the case.
    If your G code has an offset of 1, you're trying to print .89mm below the bed.
    IF that .01 is right

M565 Z .01; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism

When that doesn't work.. try
    M565 Z-1.1; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism

6. Arbi

Arbi Member

so what i did just like you mentioned. I raised it about 1.5 mm then i started lowering it untill it hit the bed. when i got close, i started going down with smaller increment ( .01 ) when it grabd the paper i read the Z and it says .01. Am i doing something wrong ?

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

you put the paper under the head? So.. up to 1.5/2 lower till it touches the paper.

Typical paper is .12mm thick.

8. Arbi

Arbi Member

i am putting the paper in the bed under the nozzle, then lowering the z axis

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

yea.. sounds right.
    try those settings I gave you (one or the other). or find the Z offset in repetier and set it to .01 and give it a try.

But that doesn't make any sense. I believe it finds Zero when you hit home. Make sure you hit home first

10. Arbi

Arbi Member

ok . thank you for the help. Appreciate that.

11. Arbi

Arbi Member

you were right, forgot to hit home first. it touches at .96

12. Arbi

Arbi Member

now in the Slic3r setting in the printer setting i find the Z offset and put .96 ?

13. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

14. Arbi

Arbi Member

ok thanks alot

15. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

z offset is under printer settings

Attached Files:

16. Arbi

Arbi Member

Thanks alot . worked great !!! just want i wanted . Thanks for helping me with this. I believe this will help to solve some of jamming issues i had before. Now right from start it extrudes and thats great :)

17. Arbi

Arbi Member

ok, there seems to be 1 problem, 1 question, now that i adjusted this , does it mean throughout entire print ( 1st layer and also all other layers, this setting is being applied ? ) that is what is looks like here, because now my prints gets messy in the2nd and after layers.... before when i was going through the first layer and 2nd layer starting to extrude then i was getting a perfect print. Now my question is this : Is there a way to apply that Z axis setting only for the first layer ? and then 2nd layer and after leave it as it was ?

18. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

this should have no effect on your other layers. it simply lays down the first layer.
    I would suspect hat you are in need of an estep calibration, but if you could show me what you mean about getting messy in the end.

19. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

I went through hell till I calibrated my Z axis, and my extrusion length. Hard for the printer to do its job if it's trying to push too much plastic (mine was about 130% before adjustment) into less than proper height (mine was 90% of nominal)

Working much better now!

20. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I cant remember what thread talks about how to calculate the extrusion length.

2 people like this.