1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

One Week In...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Brian-UK, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian-UK

Brian-UK New Member

Well I’m just coming up on my first week with my Robo3D and it’s been a fun week so far. I had been struggling getting ABS to stay stuck my heatbed was cutting out and so I ordered the polyfuse/mosfet/40mm/hobbed bolt (but as of yet I don’t feel the need to swap it out as the standard one seems to be just fine but I’ll have it in reserve should I have issues) to modify the board and I also ordered a reel of PLA to go along side my ABS reels.

This week I have learned about the printer and the ramps boards, learned about the different types of plastic and received a lot of tips from the forum for that I would like to say thank you to everyone here, I’ve also learned about Kapton tape, Hobbed Bolts, ABS Juice and given myself a crash course in TurboCAD J

I fitted the new polyfuse yesterday (the MOSFET hasn’t arrived yet although I edged my bets and ordered the SSR which has arrived as well which I don’t think I will ever use now) and today I thought I would try the PLA today whilst I was waiting. The PLA is certainly easier (massively easier almost no effort at all after ABS) to get to stick pretty quickly I printed one of the z-axis mounts although the quality wasn’t as good as my abs failures (I’m going to redesign it so I can print it without the need for the support material) followed by the fan mount which came out much better and now I’ve almost finished printing the front case from my XXL display case (designed in TurboCAD) and I have to say what a most entertaining week it’s been. I have also learned about ABS juice and have just made my first batch (to try abs again tomorrow and see if I can get it to stick). I think that the PLA seems to produce a lot of stands that the ABS doesn’t and I prefer the look of it so I’ll be investing some time getting it working properly.

Making the ABS juice was interesting I watched loads of people on YouTube who said that it took about 2 days for the ABS to dissolve in the acetone mine took about 20mins so I’m not sure why that was it might take some experimentation to get it right.

I would like to say thank you to the guys at Robo3D and again to everyone on the forums for the help so far. I’m really enjoying this 3D printing revolution I think I might stay a while J

Thanks

Brian

2 people like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Glad to have you around. More people around here the better it will be for everyone.

ABS does dissolve kinda surprisingly fast, so if you cut it up into small bits it'll be almost fully solved in an hour or less

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.