1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Orange for Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FlyMario, Apr 14, 2015.

1. FlyMario

FlyMario Member

Hi all, I recently received a RoBo 3D and well of course I love it!

So I have been using hatchbox filament from Amazon. Though I have really only been doing ABS work.

For Halloween I want to print out some pumpkins from Thingiverse in PLA. So all I am finding is Hatchbox Orange PLA not Translucent. Do any of you have any experience with this and do you think light would show through a hollow pumpkin very much or do I need to find Translucent?

PolyMakr has some beautiful Orange Translucent PLA but it is $50. Not sure I want to spend that much for PLA.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    FlyMario

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Most PLA is partially translucent anyway. You should at least print something small and try shining a light through it.

FlyMario likes this.
  3. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Others around here have had great success printing a single thickness (spiral) wall using the Volcano print head from E3D. The nozzle diameter can be up to 1.2mm so the part still has some integrity.

FlyMario likes this.
  4. FlyMario

FlyMario Member

Oh wow... I have been drooling over the E3D print heads. Thinking of getting one for my ONEUP and then putting it on my RoBo3D when the current hot end dies.

5. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

If you think you are going to make big prints a lot the Volcano is tough to beat.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Agreed. It really can speed things up dramatically as well.

At the low end of the Volcano nozzle size you don't give up much in terms of detail either and at the high end you are putting down more than 3x as much filament in a single pass.

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

ColorFabb dutch orange is perfect for that. Heavily opaque and a great orange for pumpkins. Should be back in stock monday. I can give you a local discount if you don't mind driving to pick it up. https://www.printedsolid.com/shop/175-3/colorfabb-plapha-1-75mm/

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. FlyMario

FlyMario Member

Yeah that is a beautiful color. Where are you located? You have a lot of nice filaments.

9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I'll DM you. For now I'll say we're working on getting a more permanent location :)