1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Original measurements of "the nuts"?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dime333, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Yeah, my next recommendation would be to check to make sure the other rod wasn't turning when your turned they other one, but you where kinda confusing me before.

Anyways, I find it best to adjust the rods when the RoBo is disconnected or has just been connected and not homed yet, this allows the rods to move individually.

2. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

So to adjust it properly they need to only turn one at a time?

3. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

You want to measure from the top of the bed to the bottom of the hot-end. It doesn't matter how tall either side is and if they're of the same height. They could be of different heights. What matters is that the hot-end is at the same level as it goes from one side of the X axis to the other above the bed.

4. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Ok I have done that already using the paper, I even thought it was because of the tape so i stripped all of it off remeasured and still same thing, the only thing i can think of is maybe my bed is seriously warped or un-level but i used a level on the bed itself across the entire bed too and it showed up as being level. I realize this isn't the same method as using a dial on it but I don't have one at the moment.

5. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

ok Now after adjusting it while it prints i can get a better result, I have to adjust the Z axis manually every time I print and apparently there is no way to fix it. Also the machine completely lost its orientation while printing, it was going just fine then all of a sudden it shifted 50 mm to the left and was printing on thin air,so I paused the print, had to manually move it back over the printed pieces and mess with the settings to get its direction back. Started it back up and it worked has this happened to anyone else?

6. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

X-shifting can be caused by too loose or too tight of the x-stepper belt.
    Make sure your belt is at a "twang" tightness.

7. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I'm going to post a video of what its doing later tonight, i will pluck the belt in it to show how tight it is lol. It hasn't done that again yet but it still always has to be lowered down further than what is required by the paper test to get the skirt to even print on the left side anyway, then when it gets to the right side it prints fine and that rod does not have to be adjusted. Eventually what happens is the print will lose layers because it is always lower or higher on opposite sides resulting in bad infill, bad outline yada yada yada. maybe i put something wrong in Tesseract's startup procedure, I will eleminate that from the process after recalibrating everything again lol.

8. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Here is the video let me know if you see anything wrong, I homed out the Z axis already prior to moving the assembly left to right just to clarify.

9. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Are you using anything else other than blue tape? When you adjust the sides by moving the threaded rod, are you holding the other threaded rod still?

When I level the bed, I first move the X carriage to home. I then check its level. If I need to change it, I adjust the threaded rod by twisting.

I then move the X carriage to X=200 or so. I check the level there. If I have to adjust it, I do so, but I hold the other threaded rod to make sure it is not moving as I adjust it.

I then have Z go up 10 and then home Z again. And then check the height of the bed relative to the hot-end. If it is too high, I adjust the Z axis home screw counter-clockwise so that it allows the hot-end to go down further. I want the hot-end just barely above the bed.

After I get the Z height where I like it at X=200, I then home X again. Am I still at just above the bed? If not, I adjust that side's threaded rod and I again hold still the other side so it does not move. I raise Z to +10 and then home. Is it where I want it?

I do these steps over and over until I'm happy where it is homing on both sides of the bed.

The Z axis motors (as is shown in the schematics) is controlled by a single motor controller which means both motors are receiving the exact same signal at the same time. As long as the rods are identical and the nuts are identical, they should raise and lower identically.

10. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Well here is what I did and this might help other people if they are having this problem. I still have to print the keepers for the springs and get the springs but i will use your method when I get them thank you Melody.

What I did was wait for the skirt to print and made my manual adjustment, then I waited for it to start the first layer and once I adjusted it a little more and saw that it was printing correctly I just paused the print, adjusted the Z axis stop screw and presto it is printing right now, right after another print with no adjustments! Should have thought of it earlier I suppose but it might be a better way to fine tune as well if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Dime not sure what you are doing but your setup is way off if you wan tto get ahold of me we can figure it out
    Your initial height is way way way too high It will take a bit of time but please try and get ahold of me and we can get you setup properly. Check out my sig for skype info

12. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

And yes Melody I am using Aqua Net Super Hold lol, and when it sticks it really sticks lol.

13. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Hey Tessaract can you do this in about an hour or so, waiting on a print to finish, if not it's no big deal I can do it tomorrow, but I work nights so I am up til 7 am lol. I also only have skype on Xbox One but it should work regardless, I would definitely appreciate it! My Skype is live:tkiel18.

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a file I used to upload but people kept commenting on teh fact they saw it all over but apparently it needs to make a come back

It shows what A good first layer(ie skirt) should look like

There is a process that you should go through and you seemed to skip part of it at least in the video I saw

you need to level the x axis along the entire plane--which I saw
    one recommendation is due it at the point you are going to be printing you will find the bed varies alot so it would be best to do it in the middle of the y axis

next you need to set the inital bed level and this I did not see
    but based on the video you are still very very high(check out the pic)
    this is a longer process because you make an adjustment and then start a print and repeat if required
    if the skirt does not look like the pic then continue adjusting

basically the lines skirt needs to be fairly flat but wholy solid

once they look like that and if you have done things correctly you generally should not need to do much in the way of adjustments for other prints maybe if you change filaments but not normally needed all the time

I use the same process just to verify it still is good at the beginning of each print but generally do no have to make adjustments

first layer example-small.jpg

If you see in this pic the skirt is the outermost layer and it has been flattened enough to actually make it appear as a single line although it is a a 2 loop skirt the single raised line you see is when I manually lifted the x carriage just playing around and if I had seen a skirt made up of those lines I would have stopped the print because it probably would have eventually failed. The bad part is that a skirt made up of those lines would have actually looked good to novice printers as they still do not understand the height issue fully.

Also once you set the x carriage to level and turning of the threaded rods brings the x carriage out of level which may be partially why you have to redo things alot. Once level only use the adjusting screw to alter the height.

If you find the bed is unlevel unless you do that then you need to look at the bed levelers to help out.
    Also the code you talked about should probably be used once everything fully working so you dont have to worry about introducing unknown issues.

15. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Leveling the X axis was the entire point of this thread lol and that is the answer I was looking for. I was trying to explain that I needed to know what the height of the nuts were supposed to be at, like you are stating that I am too high and therefore I require adjusting it every time I print. I can stop the print now if you want so you can help if you are available.

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it is up to you I sent a contact request just be prepared to un learn some things LOL
    just accept it on skype and I will answer it
    if all goes well it generally takes about 30 minutes to show someone how to do it

17. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Ok lol I will stop it now and check my messages.

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

here you go

Attached Files:

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

here is the 5 step it should work

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.