1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Original measurements of "the nuts"?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dime333, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I noticed that my left side is always lower than my right and when I bring the X axis to the left and right it is obvious how far off it is. If I just put them at the same height measurement wise that should fix the issue correct? Or is there a default height they should be? Also that is why if i lower the right side down it loses the nut and doesn't budge driving the z axis screw down to the switch in the process.

2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I don't quite understand what you're stating.

During leveling of the bed, you want both sides of the printer, when the X carriage is on that side, to have the print head at the same height as the opposite side. There is no default height.

Lastly, what do you mean if you lower the right side it loses the nut? It won't budge the Z axis screw if the other side isn't being lowered either since either side will continue to hold the carriage up and off the Z home stop switch. If you're homing and the Z stop isn't engaged, it will continue to rotate the rods and eventually the nuts will fall out of it's shaped hole and get thrown.

3. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I realize you want it to be the same height that's why I said it is not normal for the right side to be higher than the left. What I mean is the nut will fall out if I manually adjust the rod to bring the right side down to the paper test height. So therefore the nuts must be at different heights because not only does the Z axis raise when going from left to right but also I lose the nut when I manually adjust it. I was just trying to get an idea of the default height if there was one because of how much of a difference there is in the Z height.

4. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Sorry now that I read the first one it does sound confusing lol.

5. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Different nut lengths wouldn't make a difference, the axis rests on the top of the nut. The only way the nuts will come out is if something is holding out up. Which is most likely the z axis limit switch bolt. Make sure you adjust the bolt up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

To make it more understandable I will put it like this. Say the left side nut is all the way at the top and the right side is halfway up the rod. Now picture that and then picture what the whole assembly would be like with the nozzle being way up in the air on the left side and the right side would be halfway up the threaded rod, making them so uneven it would be completely obvious. Now my only question is this, is there a standard height you put them when you assemble the unit? Should they be at a certain height to maintain the same level X axis? Meaning the whole X assembly is straight all the way across.

7. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

No there is no standard height, Just adjust them so the nozzle is the same distance at each end. They should stay level when the machine is running, If not then something is wrong. If you are still having a problem then post some pictures or better yet a video.

8. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Then there is something wrong because my left side is always lower than the right and no matter what i do to the Z axis screw, manually adjust the rods or whatever it still goes back to one side being higher or lower. which means it will not print correctly either. Is there somewhere else i should post this to get an answer from ROBO themselves? I thought they looked at the forums.

9. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

There are two z axis screw rods. If you turn one, you will see the other one turn at the same time. This is why you can't get a significant change toward level. Try holding the high or low side threaded rod with one hand and turning the other z axis rod so it moves the carriage up or down toward level with the side you are holding. You can measure with a dial gauge to see if the two sides are equal or, as I do sometimes, hold a pencil with your fingers touching the carriage rod at exactly the point the pencil touches the bed. Move it to the other side and see if it equals the first measurement. Extremely inaccurate way to do it, but surprisingly easy to get the two side quite close to level. Then you can fine tune with something like Tesseract's spring levelers. Personally, again, I just put 4 equal length springs between the bed and the sliders on the bolts that secure the slide and bed together. I adjust the nuts with a driver socket turned by hand for the fine tuning. Don't forget to readjust your z carriage end stop screw after leveling everything. Otherwise you might throw your nuts repeatedly (as I have) until you wise up and make an oh so simple twist of the screw. Once you get it, it is neither difficult nor painful to keep up with it. Good luck!

2 people like this.
  10. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I think you nailed it man, when one is lower no matter what when you adjust it the other one moves too, completely throwing off the whole axis! I don't know why I didn't think of that other than ALL the other variables that could have been the issue. I will have to do the bed level immediately after I fix this issue lol, thanks a lot!

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep. Those rock.

No major leveling issues since installed them and fine tuning is easy.

12. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I checked Tesseracts leveling print and I already have spacers on my bed not sure if that was for the first batch of robo's that came out or not, can't tell if I have springs on it though as I am printing something now.

13. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Yes, they have the spacers, but not the springs... which is what you replace the spacers with... Glad you are finding your way...

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The springs allow you to tweak each corner as needed.

15. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Gotcha that makes sense now lol, hey Mark Tomlinson you wouldn't be interested in a signed Valentino Rossi autobiography by any chance would ya? It's signed by Valentino and Jeremy Burgess caught them at Indy for Moto GP a few years back. Now that him and Jeremy are splitting it probably raises the value lol.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I am a fan :)
    (he still rides better than me, but I can blame my age)

17. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

2 people like this.
  18. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Well I'm up for offers lol, he is the greatest ever and his records will stand the test of time no doubt.

On a side note i measurred the Z axis nuts and put them at the exact same height ( 2 inches on each side ) and wouldnt you know the right side (when looking at it) is still freaking lower than the right and my prints are turning out horribly. I already measured the rods themselves and they are the same, meaning that they are screwed down into the round parts equally. I really dont understand what the hell is wrong!

19. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Are you measuring from the top of the bed?

20. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I am measuring from the top of the round part that the rod threads into up to the top of the nut on the threaded rod that the assembly sits into ( the whole motor and extruder assembly), if I put them at the same 2 inch mark or whatever measurement for that matter and the right or left side is either higher or lower than the opposite side.

Yeah Marco has been missed lol, but watch out for Spiez!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.