1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Pausing a print?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jack Brannan, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Jack Brannan

Jack Brannan New Member

is it possible to pause a print and turn the 3D printer off? Will the software try to restart the print because it will disconnect from the powered off printer? Just curious for longer prints

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, 'no' .. and 'maybe'

You can pause the printer (from the computer) turn it off and then turn it back on and un-pause and it will print on --> IF you leave the computer connected and running the entire time. This is because the power switch only turns off the steppers... the arduino stays powered from the USB connection to the computer. I am not sure if the hotend will stay hot or not, the might be controlled by the switch as well (I think it is so it would power down as well).

Thing is, why turn it off? It is not saving you much in terms of power since only the steppers and extruder are getting powered down. The computer has to stay on if you are going to un-pause.

General rule of thumb is to not start a print you don't want to finish :) Yea, I know they can run long. I have had some 50+ hours ones.

Jack Brannan likes this.
  3. Jack Brannan

Jack Brannan New Member

Well the real issue is noise. Although the Robo 3D is the quietest printer I have been around, my roommate doesn't seem to like it too much haha. Thanks for such a detailed answer!!