1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered PETG clear, brown (burned?) spots

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, May 31, 2020.

1. joea

joea Active Member

After a successful print, I tried again. At end of that print I found it about 7/8 good, then a mess. It was loose on the bed which I thought at first was the issue.

There are, on the first failed layer, a couple of dark spots (burned?). I now wonder if something else is at work here and the print dislodged from the bed because ti became fused for a moment to the object.

This is some old MakerGeeks PETG that has been in unknown environments for some time.

20200531_181732 (Small).jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Maybe...
    The more common reason is that filament started to clump around the hotend nozzle or heater block was then burned and at some point was deposited on the print surface. If it did break loose and was stuck to the nozzle then that would certainly cause this.

3. joea

joea Active Member

I tried PLA and it broke free of the base as well, but did not burn. Ended up adding a raft and it printed fine.

Went back to PETG and it also completed, but, was a bit stringy and had a rougher appearance at the start end end of the print, where the part is thinner and narrower. I thought I had bookmarked a nice little run down on PETG issues like that, but will have to hunt it up again.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

I've never had PETG stick the nozzle to the print but I have seen the nozzle push against a clump too large to remove which messes with the alignment. Only seen that on long flat sections where I purposefully overextruded the filament to get the first layer right.