1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Phantom Printing (Possible clog?)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by nuhertz, Apr 9, 2015.

1. nuhertz

nuhertz New Member

I received my ROBO3D R1 on Tuesday, and have been happily tinkering since.

I think I finally have the offset dialed in so my first layer is laying down great, I have an army of aquanet to keep my PLA stuck to the bed, and things are looking up.

So I decided to start my first large print before I headed off to bed, and found the filament broken off (but not fed through), a glob of molten and burnt PLA at the end of the extruder (now brown) and the printer assuming it's still finishing up the print (printing mid-air).

I couldn't get the filament out by reversing or pulling it out. I didn't use too much force as I didn't want to damage it. The hotend was still at temp when I attempted.

I think there might be a clog, as I don't think I'm getting enough PLA out on prints, leaving holes as shown in the first picture.

My questions: Does it look like I have a clog? Is it fixable or do I need some parts? Do I just upgrade to the E3d print head now?

What else am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Is your hot end fan running? Have you seasoned your nozzle?

You shouldn't have any need to upgrade to the E3D.

Try pushing the filament in a little before pulling it out. Remove the spring/screw tensioners to get more access to the filament.

3. nuhertz

nuhertz New Member

I believe the hot end fan is running, I haven't seasoned my nozzle.

I'm concerned because there was a molten bit of PLA at the end of the nozzle and if the filament broke off at the top, it still should have continued feeding through and wouldn't be stuck. I didn't troubleshoot much on my way out the door, but my inclination is it's jammed.

I'll heat it up when I get home and remove it, and see if I can get something through it. I'll double check the fan, I'll season it and report back.

Thanks!

4. nuhertz

nuhertz New Member

I seasoned the nozzle and was able to print, the fan is on and working. Something still isn't right with the extruder though. Going to continue playing. Thanks for the help!