1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA First layers never print properly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by stealthmatt, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stealthmatt

stealthmatt New Member

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but the first layers never printer properly, I never get a circle around the area. it seems like when it waits to heat up the nozzle gets gunked and its only one it clears the gunk after the first level it then prints.

I am using PLA

2. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Try going into slicer, in the skirt tab...change amount of loops to 3 instead of one. Then tell us what happens.. that's not something you normally have to do but it will make three passes instead of one.

3. stealthmatt

stealthmatt New Member

Well it seems to have trouble sticking, i have made the z zex even closer to the nozzle as per how to configure it, and i seem to be getting a layer now, but about 2 layers through it becomes un stock and starts moving around.

Also the circle? shouldnt it be a circle, does that mean something is not moving smoothly or the level isnt right? i didnt both sides.

Gees this robo3d printer seems like alot of work for so little gain... I might have to smash it and just get a proper 3d printer, because i am almost ready to take a sledge hammer to it.

any help is greatly appreciated... going on 8 hours now tweaking and messing around and still not getting very good results.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do an extraction before you start a print so you have pressure in the nozzle. It'll leak a little but should help with starting quicker.

5. stealthmatt

stealthmatt New Member

So it heats up, and then it starts leaking for maybe 10seconds which is enough to cause a build up ( i have try to wipe this out before it starts its process) but n o matter what i do the first layer is always bad, and because of the gunk build up it simply messes up and drags etc

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Hi Stealthmatt,

This is how I got the first layer to stick consistently with PLA:
    • layer of Aquanet Pro Extra Strength hairspray dried at 60C for < a minute. Use water to get print unstuck.
    • left and right Z-axis rods adjusted for equal Z height left and right (motors off and turn one by hand)
    • Z-axis height set very low - tight for sheet of paper to fit under
    • Set Slic3r to put down 5 or so rounds of skirt so nozzle can clear and so you can look for proper Z height around print object. Look for a "squished hot dog" profile on the skirt rings. If not, stop the print and readjust. See Printed Solid's nice photo of a squished skirt.http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/fillament-not-sticking-to-bed.994/#post-5391 .
    • Some prints with narrow sections will benefit from a thicker first layer setting in Slic3r. If your resolution is 0.1 mm then make the first layer 0.2 or greater.
    I have a November shipped ABS model with and eBay Hobbed bolt and grooved bearing.
    Good luck
    Steve

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Sorry correction - that's Aquanet 3 Extra Super Hold hairspray.

Steve

8. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I use hair gel by CREW. I print on 9X9 mirror from walmart.
    If i print with cold bed, model slides off at some point. If i keep bed warm at 70-90 ,model stays put.
    I will let the print cool off and it should just slide out.
    PLA print.

Hairspray just too much mess

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.