1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered PLA prep

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Larry H, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Larry H

Larry H Member

hello,
    So as still a newbie 3d printer I was wondering for printing with PLA right on the printer bed. What temperature has people found works well with just elmers glue on the bed. Or is there a good temperature which I just need a clean print bed?
    Reason for this is I cleaned off the elmers from the print bed and put down a clean layer then set it to 60C and started a print. I then heard that 60c is too high with elmers 45c is the highest because all the moisture evaporates and it hardens.
    My test print actually completed which using octoprint and I can't control the speed on the fly is a first. Figured I better get a second opinion to see why it worked before I start a 20+ hour print.
    Thanks

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

PLA is a funny thing, you can print with a bed at ambient temperatures (somewhere around 20-25°C), but most people settle around 50°C if you heat it at all. There is no especially correct answer for PLA bed heat.

3. Larry H

Larry H Member

Interesting I've never heard of that for just the printer bed. With painters tape I have and maybe elmers or hairspray. Tho if the only difference is the finish on the bottom.
    I guess I'll try elmers with maybe a 45-50c heater bed and see how that goes.
    Thanks