1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Point blank question: Can I install the E3D V6 w/o a bunch of nonsense work?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ozzie Alarcon, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

I've been watching some Youtube videos along with lots of reading on this forum when it comes to running the E3D V6 on my 3D R1 printer. Some people say you have to update the printer's firmware or software while some Youtube videos never mention doing any of that stuff. I do realize the filament inlet hole needs to be drilled out a little to accept the bowden tube.

So now I'm wondering if I should bother doing this mod or just be happy with my printer that so far has been 100% worry-free. Only reason I want to do the mod is so I can use Ninjaflex material.

Any opinions or advice?

jrs3d likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

?
    Doing this mod... I see no reason why that would help ninjaflex (then again, I have never done ninjaflex with a hexagon, but it shouldn't matter if you add the PTFE tube in the extruder feed).

Doing the modification is not rocket science, but it is not trivial either. Plan on spending an hour (two or more if you have never done this on a printer before) and taking notes.

Modification of the firmware is only needed if you want to use filament types other than the norm. Some filaments are meant to be printed hotter than the firmware comes configured. Also, if you use the new thermistor that comes with the E3D kit then you must alter the thermistor type in the firmware or you temperatures will be incorrect.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. I have a hard time seeing where NinjaFlex would work for most prints as the only filament as well. It is way more useful in a multi-extruder model where you are printing it and some other material. Other than very specialized or very small models... Remember it is really soft and rubbery.

4. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Unless you opt for the stud mounted thermistor..then appparently you dont need to change the firmware ( I did not change mine ).

I only upgraded because I tore the rubber boot off the hex head..and tried taping the thermistor back on with kapton tape..worked for awhile then that fell off...then I was doing a bunch of other things like adding a wirechain...so I had to take the entire printer apart anyway so I upgraded...and got the stud mounted thermistor...from printedsold

its been great since then...not that it wasn't working before though.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, and it is such a better upgrade that I always suggest using it over the stock or E3D one.

6. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

Anyone have the link for the thermister on printedsold?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member