1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Posting to SD card from PC...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Dennis Messer, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Dennis Messer

Dennis Messer New Member

Is there any way (even using Ardrino software) to post the Gcode to the printers SD card directly through the USB cable. I don't love the idea of pulling the card in and out all the time.
    But I want to print off the card so I can shutdown the pc once the print is started...

Thanks

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You can do it with some programs, but it's dog slow. Not sure why.

3. Dennis Messer

Dennis Messer New Member

I'm thinking of trying one of the Wifi SD cards (with a microSD adapter)

anyone try this or does everyone just goto one of the LCD panel options?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Or do both. The LCDs give you a full size SD card mount.
    Or if you are into it an OctoPi. Then you get stand alone Wireless access to the printer.

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That's a good idea except that AFAIK, those WIFI cards can only be read from over wifi, not written to.
    I do believe that there are some hacks that can be done though. I vaguely recall a discussion on the sailfish firmware google group.

If you come across something, please share.

6. Dennis Messer

Dennis Messer New Member

Where is a good place to buy these add ons turnkey... I have found the XXL all over but not a octoprint. I know I could buy all the pi bits and assemble, but would rather get a kit than mess with it.

I see that the octo supports slicing and all that. I assume I could also generate gcode on the pc and just have the octo pass it on.

Thanks so much for the help... and sorry for all the questions, All my experience thus far has been with a more turnkey printer (xyz Davinci AIO), so I know a bit on the design/printing/making side. All the connectivity stuff on this one however is all new.

PS:

Also how do the XXL and octo typically connect. A casual search didn't turn up much initial info, I have not delved into it yet. do they connect into the USB print connector and the SD, or do you crack open the printer ?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member