1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Power left to add LED to R3D

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by -PC, Oct 10, 2013.

1. -PC

-PC Member

Hi gang,

I was wondering if there is any power left on the power supply to attach some LEDs, if it would be ok if I attach some LED to the power source, withour the risk to blow the whole thing

just a thought

cheers

PC

2. huskerfreak

huskerfreak New Member

Yes there is. If I ever get a chance I will show you mine. I bought some self adhesive led strips off of ebay. I put two 1 foot strip at the top of the housing and worked really well

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Definitely doable just make sure they are 12V I even added a switch so I can turn the on or off without affecting the printer I actaully have my cover off most of the time so I simply used the same adhesive type ones I think Husker has and stuck it right on the lower part of the extruder in the front it rides just below where the sleeve bearing goes and points straight down on to the print very very bright I like mine alot.

LED ON
    2013-10-10 22.50.01.jpg

LED OFF
    2013-10-10 22.50.07.jpg

4. -PC

-PC Member

Nice :)

But do yo know how many watts could I take from the power source to the LED's????
    Just curious, I got a few LED strips and I was thinking about lighting up the whole printer :) hehehe

cheers
    PC

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

off hand no but i always thought that even the brightest LEDS consumed very little power that is why most companies are switching over to them so you should be able to do several I would think but I do not know for sure

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

just so it is known that single one is easily bright enough to light up the entire print area

7. -PC

-PC Member

I know, but if the printer is using all power from the power source then you risk burning everything.
    I was hoping the eople form Robo 3D would let us know so I can plan how much light would I be able to add.

But thank you anyway, your mod is neat.

cheers

PC

8. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

-PC, have you attached LED's yet? I have put a few around in my ROBO with no problems.

I have replaced my warped Birch bed with a sheet of Polycarbonate and drilled 8 3mm holes in the side. Using 3mm red LED's I have wired them up in 2 sets of 4 LED's in series with 220ohm Resistors. I have also put 4 sets of 3 Ultra bright white LED's in the case in various places. I'm powering them off the PSU's 8Amp outlet. Total power draw for these LED's are about 330mA. There is ample supply to run these.

9. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I can say that adding LEDs to the print head is going to be one of my first modifications to be sure. Having to grab a flash light to check the status of the print constantly is getting REALLY old REALLY fast!!! LOL

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I added a dimmer to mine so it is on whenever the printer is on so I can see that it is on but I can dial up the brightness if needed

11. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

How did you wire in the dimmer?

Did you wire the LED's (and resistor) up to one of the 5v and ground pins on the microcontroller or tap into the power line for the print head so when the heads powered so are the LEDs?

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the little self contained modules I used were 12V so I tapped directly into the PS 12V,

12V -->dimmer -->LED

13. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Gotcha. That makes sense then... :)

My mod of adding LED lighting will have to wait... my printer died this afternoon. First the heated bed, and then the thermistor in the print head. {sigh} I didn't even have it 18 hours before it broke. :(

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Matt double check all the connections sometimes shipping stresses cause those wires connections to become loose especially the right side of right board where the power supply hooks up

15. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Was the first thing I did... no joy. Hit the RAMPS forums looking for ideas, that's where I saw the idea to swap the thermistor and heated bed connections to test that... the failure moved from the temp on the print head to the temp on the bed... that's why I suspected the thermistor in the print head died. As for the heated bed failure, multimeter shows no power to it. I disconnected the wires and checked for continuity and got good results there... so it looks like the RAMPS board is having problems and perhaps killed the thermistor in the process... but that's just totally guessing. {shrug} I'm no EE, but I know my way around arduino somewhat having build a few products with them already. I'm gonna try and see if the analog pin on the ultra works (the RAMPS site specs which pins those are) to see if the ultra is working to see if I can narrow down to it being one or the other...

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I tried at least but you have me beat when it comes to the workings on the arduino this is my first one i can read the firmware and I know how to make small changes and upload but that is about all.

Hey I customized my LCD screen so it says Jeff's Robo that's something LOL

17. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

:) I was a software tester for 20+ years and worked in embedded systems for a bit of that... while I'm no EE, I've been around them FAR too long to not have caught the desire to build circuits. When I discovered Arduino, it opened the world to me I'd always wanted to play in, but never had the time or ability to execute on. Every now and again them Italians get something right!!! :D

3 people like this.
  18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

19. -PC

-PC Member

hey gang,
    I really would like to hear from the R3D team about how many amps there still left on the PS, I would live to illuminate no only the extruder but the whole case. :)

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I have seen that done several times so I really do not think it will be an issues LED don't take that much power. Can you hook em up with out mounting and then power them on if they flicker when the printer does its things then you know you have too many. Harry lit his whole printer up and had no problems

It will also depends on your configuration the bed type you have