1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Power source for the LCD controller ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Keith Trusso, May 19, 2017.

1. Keith Trusso

Keith Trusso New Member

I have 2 RoboR1+. 1 printer I only have the main power cord hooked up & the LCD works fine, the other I have to use the USB cable to a powered USB hub to power the LCD. How can I make it so that I don't need to use a USB cable for power ?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

#2 mark tomlinson, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    aznhlfan likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This all comes down to the way the arduino works, it can power itself from the 12v line or from the USB and it can switch :)
    It appears the 12v side is defective on one of yours (the 5v regulator it uses to step the 12v from the power supply down). When powered from USB it uses THAT for the 5v source and that wotks.

I would suggest out of warranty try an new Arduino Mega 2560 (they are cheap) and you will need to (of course) reload the firmware when you swap the new one in.

Only reason I suggested the RAMPS as a possibility is that is where the LCD plugs into so theoretically something could be wrong there specific to the LCD ... but not likely.

#3 mark tomlinson, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    aznhlfan likes this.