1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Power when unplugged?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cosber, Mar 21, 2015.

1. cosber

cosber Active Member

Not the best subject heading for this question, but I don't know what to call it. Basically just a wondering-
    I'm having trouble with y axis slippage and scoured the posts for solutions. I unplugged the printer to move it to someplace I could work on it. I turned it on its side to view underneath to see if anything was catching. I slid the bed back and forth and noticed the green light that's visible just below the USB plug and another on the board would light up as I'm sliding. Also the board fan turns. It's as if sliding the bed generates power. Anyone familiar with this?
    Also, is anyone using Tapatalk having problems viewing this forum?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Your DC motors are acting as generators.
    Not unusual for certain motor types.

3. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Any motor including AC induction motors can be turned into generators/alternators. Some are just better than others for producing electricity. Steppers are wonderful for generating electric, lol

4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

well, as long as they're permanent magnets.. these things are VERY good at producing electricity. There might be a fun project in that. Hmmm... I may make a wind generator if I can come up with a reason.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Some types are way more efficient at it, but yea... Our PM steppers can generate a fair EM field.

6. cosber

cosber Active Member

Thanks for the answers. Electricity-what a concept!

7. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

If you have the USB plugged in and powered a few lights will turn on as well.

8. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

That would be due to the Arduino board getting it's power from the USB. The power supply on board the printer is mainly for powering the steppers, fans, heated bed, and extruder.