1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Pre-Built Printer: Extrude/Retract mixed up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BAINES1986, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAINES1986

BAINES1986 New Member

Hi,

Possibly a simple solution but thought I'd post before messing around switching wires around... has anyone had any problems with the 'extrude' and 'retract' being the wrong way around on their printer?

Example, when I click manual 'extrude' it pulls the PLA out of the hot-end. When I click manual 'retract' it feeds it in and a stream of PLA comes out

My view is that during build the two wires of the 'forward' and 'reverse' mechanism have become mixed up and so I need to switch them around. But I want to make sure

Cheers
    SB

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds like your motor is wired in backwards. Try reversing it.

3. BAINES1986

BAINES1986 New Member

This is as I thought, but how? I bought the fully assembled version so haven't a clue about putting the thing together

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

5. BAINES1986

BAINES1986 New Member

Thanks - I can't say I understand that diagram. My Robo3D does not have two extruder heaters. Also, the 'extruder motors' don't appear to be on here unless I am misreading it

6. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

Just pull the extruder connector from the RAMPS board and put it back on backwards.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's the ramps board reprap style printers use. Follow the circuit from extruder 1 motor to the port and reverse that one. Kinda wish I didn't have to spell this out

8. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

another example of not being fully tested and calibrated as kickstarter ad states....if these were tested and calibrated before shipment you wouldn't see these problems..

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Calibrated and tested are not really the same thing though. Granted hopefully their QA process is improving and we'll see less of these.

10. BAINES1986

BAINES1986 New Member

Well apologies for not understand electronic wiring!

My point is, how can something that has four points simply be reversed. There are not just two different combinations to reverse, there are four so 16 different combinations as opposed to two

Now I would assume that the wires to be reversed are the Black and Red wires under extruder 1 motor (attached to the board not the motor) but the whole reason for my post is that I wanted to seek advice before potentially breaking the thing and turning it into a $500+ model of a printer

11. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

heres a better photo of the extruder connections. labeled e0 and e1. This should be how it looks. order from top to bottom blue, red, green, black on the connector. hope this helps..
    CIMG2464.JPG
    extruder connection.jpg

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looking at the color coded schematic it seems like blue/black and red/green are interchangeable. Just make sure they're close to the picture from Leon and you'll be fine.

13. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

also another thing to know is that eo, Is considered extruder 1 in firmware and e1, is considered extruder 2. Marlin is configured to e0 if your using a single extruder. e1 wont work if you dont have dual extruders setup. unless u change that in firmware.

the photos posted is the stock configuration as shipped to me from robo. yours should look the same. It should be plugged in to e0 as shown in the photo.

14. Jeff Mercado

Jeff Mercado Member

My printer arrived, and after about an hour of frustration I realized the gear on the extruder was going in reverse. I could push the it in and it would extrude, but once closed in it couldn't feed. I found this on the forum, looked under the hood, and sure enough, wired backwards from the factory. I reversed the plug and it solved the issue immediately. Thanks Mike! Cambo3D pictures were perfect. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.