1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print bed not moving

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by marty williams, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marty williams

I've looked at the two other issues that seem similar, but there doesn't seem to be a resolution that made it to the forum.

I've progressed through the setup to the part where it says to test using manual control.

I can move the bed to the back and the head to the left, but that's it. It won't move up and down or towards me or to the right. It basically moves until it hits the limit sensor.

When I try to move it, I can hear the stepper motors trying to move, but there's no movement. I've manually moved the bed and the head and there's no obstruction to movement.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marty

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok in repetier you have sets of numbers by the axis designations X Y and Z if they are RED then Repetier does not know where the head is so it will only be able to move to a higher number on that axis. If the numbers are black then full movement should be allowed. They change when you tap the home all button it should move form where ever it is to the home position which should be the left, front, and the nozzle tip near the bed. Those are the proper stop switch activation points. If your motors do not respond that way the I would start checking the plugs and the wiring connected to each of them. There have been cases of loose wiring and even plugs oriented in the wrong direction.

IF when you home the printer the movement does not move as I described but in the opposite direction then the plug on the incorrectly moving axis is probably reversed,

Check this out and if you still have issue let us know and we wil try and figure it out also if you can take a pic of the issue and upload it as they can help identify issues.

3. marty williams

I'm not really sure what I did differently, but it worked when I got home last night. I had power cycled the printer and my laptop the day before, but to no avail. Maybe it just needed one more reboot.

Thanks for your help.

Marty

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Just to be sure it could have been a loose wires as those have been popping up lately. I would probably check the the plugs and such when you get the opportunity

5. marty williams

Will do.

Thank you.

Marty

6. Holger

Holger New Member

Hello,
    today I've nearly the same problem the printing bed will not move in any direction. Yesterday it works. I tried power up several times, moving by hand to endpoints. But nothing.
    So it look I've to open the printer. Are they any pics to see wicht lines I've to check?

Holger

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You home it and it doesn't respond?

8. Holger

Holger New Member

Mike,
    you are right. If I press home than only two axis will move but not the printing bed.

Holger

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I would look underneath and follow the lead from the middle nema motor to the ramps board and ensure a solid connection. Might have come loose.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

yep plugs and wires need to check'm

11. Holger

Holger New Member

Ok,
    I found out that the resposible Pololu board (DRV8834 Low-Voltage Stepper Motor Driver Carrier) is not working any more. Now I've to find out how to use the robo3d team support.

Holger

12. Holger

Holger New Member

Oh,
    I see I made a mistake. I mean the A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier for sure.

Holger

13. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Holger,

How were you able to determine the motor driver was not functioning properly?

Does the Y motor make any noises when you push home? Do you notice any movement at all?

14. Holger

Holger New Member

Jerry,
    I have interchanged the Y stepper driver (with the X driver). And now the X axis will not work.

The motor will not make any sound. All other axis will work.

Holger

15. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok. Holger, I have one more thing for you to try. There is a small silver screw on the motor driver board. Please turn that a half turn clockwise and see if this improves the movement of the motor. Thank you for being patient.

16. Holger

Holger New Member

Jerry,
    it's done but nothing happends - no sound - no moving. I test it in the other direction too. Also nothing.
    It looks like a dead stepper driver.

Holger

17. Holger

Holger New Member

Jerry,
    what are the next steps now?

Holger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.