1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Print defect help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jacob Kirsch, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

Hi, I'm looking for some help troubleshooting a print inconsistency. I can't find a name for it after reviewing http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide.

Filament type: Robo3D ABS
    Extruding Temp: 230
    Bed Temp: 90
    Bed makeup (i.e. what is all on the bed...glass; plexi; tape; hairspray; slurry etc): glue stick on stock Robo3D glass bed

The issue is at the bottom where it's really rough. The sides eventually smooth out, and the main difference is there's a little overhang at the bottom, though it happens on straight sides sometimes too. I've reduced acceleration to eliminate ringing and have increased the steps/mm for filament feed following the calibration steps (this was done because of poor layer adhesion). The ringing is pretty much gone and the layer adhesion is good, but now I have this roughness problem.

image2.JPG image1.JPG

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That has to do with the overhang. Part of it is filament quality/hydration levels as well. Higher quality/newer filament I find tends to handle overhangs better than older.

That said I use Robo3D black abs a lot and haven't had that bad of an issue with it.

You could try printing at a higher resolution to minimize overhang per layer.
    Otherwise try dehydrating and see if it prints any better.

3. Frankn

Frankn Member

Here's my guess! I once played around with the filament feed volume. When it got to high, the roughness showed up.
    Frank

4. David BOles

David BOles Member

I've had somewhat similar problems with high poly curves. Do other stl's do this?

5. Edwin3d

Edwin3d Member

Have you calibrated your printer? Print a cube (2x2cm for example) and make proper measurements. If your Z-axis steps are not proper set, that might cause an overfeed in the first layers and makes it look like this. This worked for me.

6. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll give these a shot. I suspected the feed rate might be too high and tried reducing it a bit but didn't see any difference. It does happen on flat, vertical walls occasionally, but this is pretty consistent.

A separate frustration is Cura keeps losing the printer profile, so every time I want to print I have to start from scratch configuring the printer :(

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Cura only saves on exit. Define your profile, close, and reopen

Frankn likes this.