1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS Print separates after only 1/4 in print height

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Mark Fishbain, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Mark Fishbain

Mark Fishbain New Member

New to this, just got my printer - as I print my first object, 2x2in by 1 in hi pyramid. As the print gets about 1/4 in hi, the layers start to separate. I've tried to slow down the speed hoping the heat would help seal the layers together better, but that didn't help. I have tried to find explanations of the repetier software to understand it better, but no luck

Any help on layer sep using abs? Haven't tried pla yet

Pyramid is hollow using supports and wall is 1/4 in thick

Thanks-mark

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ABS has a lot of different issues that could cause this it is much easier to get the printer setup doing good print using PLA instead it is much more stable(little or not warping, little or no lifting off the bed)

I would recommend going that route to get the printer and yourself accustomed to what it takes to get a good print and then move up to ABS

I also attached a file you should probably start with in addition to being an easy print it will also give you clues to other calibrations you may have to make.

A hollow object is not the easiest thing to print and there are a lot of confusing settings that you will no idea on how to set such as retraction speeds

YOu are jumping right up to more advance prints for your first attempt I would hold back a little

Attached Files:

3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

What temp are you printing at?