1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

print shifts and curls up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ikre, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ikre

ikre New Member

Hello there,

i have a couple of problems i hope you can help me with. I will explain it one by one.

1. when i start printing, almost all prints shifts during printing. I mean that the print does not go straight up, but almost every layer shifts a mm down. This will result in a 'not straigt print' I have attached a picture so that you can see what i mean...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What can i do about this.

second problem is that the prints curl up. See attachment picture for the result of a 'bigger print'. I use rough tape to let the pla stick. Works fine, but now i see that when i print 'bigger' things the pla is more powerfull then the stickyness of the tape and pulls the tape of the bed.

[​IMG]

hope one of you has the solution.

many thanks

Iwan

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The shifting is loose drive components.
    1) loose belt
    2) Loose drive screw/set screw on the belt or a drive pulley
    Since it looks like you are only shifting in one direction, that is the axis you need to look at most closely (X or Y -- I can't tell for certain).

The warp is odd, I have often see ABS warp like that (one of the problems with not having a heated build chamber) but I have not seen PLA warp like that. What extruder and bed temperatures are you printing at? Try the bed at say 50 degrees (even though it is PLA) and see if that helps.

3. ikre

ikre New Member

thanks for the tips....i use 220 degrees for the extruder and 60 degrees for the hot bed.

About the belts..i will also look into that and tention it a bit.

I will post the results.

Iwan

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Use Aquanet Extra Superhold hairspray with no tape. Print at 50C. Dry at 60C if you want it to dry fast. Use water if it is difficult to get off the bed.

Does it curl up before the layers start shifting? If so then the hot end may be hitting the curled part and stalling the stepper. This would then cause a shift each time it stalls.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Try less. Warp happens with temperature changes (a delta-T, the cooling down of the fialment) so the less temperature difference the better.

PLA I can print at 195 and if I use a heated bed I usually go with no more than 50 degrees.

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

60C for the bed is a bit high for PLA. Also for some PLA ( Prototype Supply on Amazon) I go up to 210-215C on my E3D hot end. My thermistor may read high though.

7. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I use 65C and have no issues. Before every print i wipe the bed down with methylated spirits to ensure it's completely clean for adhesion. That's it. You will have to tweak you first layer print setting to get good adhesion too. Check the bottom of your prints, the lines should be squished together but not look like one totally smooth piece.

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Yes - it is probably OK. I just try to keep it away from the 60-65C PLA glass transition temp because I only heat the bed for adhesion and have no problem with warping. For ABS you want to keep it close to the glass transition temp.

What brand PLA have you been using a bare glass bed with? Do you need brims for narrow parts?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For PLA the bed temperature is more panacea than requirement.
    However it I feel it DOES provide some benefits :) I think everyone needs to tune it for what works best for them. I have printed it without a heated bed just fine, but I usually use the heated bed to avoid the slight end/corner warp I was sometimes seeing. His warp seems excessive even for cold-bed PLA. ABS--I could totally believe that.

10. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Glass transition?

I'm using 3dprintergear's standard PLA with no brim (apart for a single layer perimeter to prep the extrusion) and no raft.

Originally I was using 50C as suggested but was having lifting issues so changed it to 65C for the entire print and resolved it. You must clean the bed with methylated spirits before each print if printing in plain glass.

11. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition
    http://reprap.org/wiki/PLA
    The glass transition temperature applies to an amorphous material and is where it starts to flow. There is no true melting point for amorphous materials.

Thanks for the details. I will try the higher temp and a clean glass. I would be very happy if thin sections stick but I'm skeptical. With Aquanet hairspray some prints are a bit too hard to remove from the bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.