1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print tolerance and fusing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lasse Knudsen, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lasse Knudsen

Lasse Knudsen Member

Greetings,

After getting "aqua net" hair spray i was finally able to get the prints to stick to the bed, and now im exploring what i can do with it, and i found two things on thingieverse that i wanted to print, the "marble machine #2" and "Planetary gears
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:98669
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53451

Problem with both of them, as seen on the pictures is that i get fusing, and the parts don't come unstuck, does anyone have any ideas how to remedy this problem?

Does the amount of perimeters have any effect on this?

Any imput appriciated :)

-lasse

Attached Files:

2. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Double check what you have your filament diameter set to, and the flow rate. If you have the filament diameter set too high, or the flow rate set too low, it'll not put out enough filament for parts to become solid - there'll be little gaps so you'll have a very neatly arranged pile of filament, rather than a properly printed part. The opposite could certainly be true as well - if you have calipers, double-check the actual diameter of your filament in several places too, and make sure everything's set correctly.

Number of perimeters (and top/bottom layers) can be an issue with getting a nice solid print, but usually 2 is enough to get a part that will at least hold together to be handled (moving parts or things that are going to be load-bearing may need more).

Some parts are very carefully calibrated for a particular filament type - ABS plastic shrinks about 1%, while PLA doesn't seem so shrink much/at all, so if you're printing a part made for ABS, you may find you have to modify the model a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.