1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer forgets where it is.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kingbob, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

I've been having an intermittent issue with the alignment on my Printer.

Using mattercontrol, i'll start a print, and the printer will go to do its auto levelling, it does this by locating the center of the bed, then the front left, front center, front right, then moved to the center right, center, center left, then back to the rear left, rear center, and rear right. Thats what it should do, and usually does.

However sometimes, it will go to the center of the bed, then instead of going to the front left, it moves only fractionally left, maybe moves the bed slightly to the rear, then lowers thinking its in the front left corner, but its not, its still mostly in the center. It then tries to check the rest of the corners but its totally in the wrong place. It ends up checking what should be the center, on the right, and then hits the right end stop trying to go further right, and of the course the belt slips on the gear and makes a godawful noise.

I generally have to switch it off to stop it going further and potentially damaging itself.

The wierd thing is, if i tell the software to "home" all the axes first, it will usually move to the correct location on x y and z. But not always, it will sometimes move the bed slightly to the rear, but not all the way to hit the end switch. Yet sometimes it does, and still does the messed up z levelling when i start the print.

I'm guessing its some sort of firmware issue where it neglects to accurately check to see if its hit the end stop switches, but since i have an E3D head, and Z levelling, i'm not using the standard firmware, but one here from the forums.

Its a pain, i've been trying to print for the last 2 hours, and havent had it do a successfull calibration yet. Yet yesterday I printed several jobs without a hitch. I've tried closing/reopening mattercontrol. Disconnecting/reconnecting the printer in software. Unplugging/replugging the USB cable, and pulling the power to the printer, and all combinations thereof. AND rebooted my pc!

Suggestions???

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Which firmware did you install?

3. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

I dont remember exactly, it is one i got from the forums here.
    If memory serves i think it was a firmware you posted actually.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the best clue to what is happening is

I had a very similar problem with the printer seeming to suddenly decide the Y axis = 0 (endstop) was in a different place during the Z Probing or during a print.

One way to check this is to manually send the printer an M119 gcode. This returns the current status of the endstops. You will probably find one is showing as "triggered" when physically it is not.

The issue on my Robo turned out to be a very intermittent Y endstop open circuit between the ramps and the arduino underneath (ie on a dupont pin). Same thing could happen X or Z as well.

I separated the two boards, cleaned up the pins and the problem has gone.

Your intermittent endstop issue could be in an entirely different place of course.

6. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Mike: that looks vaguely familiar. I'll have to check the exact file i downloaded when i get home, but i seem to recall the actual post or firmware being dated around march or april this year, to factor in the auto z levelling.

Ziggy: next time it happens i'll try that. Yesterday I eventually turned everything off, and while off i re-seated the connections from the z axis end switch on the ramps board. After rebooting everything, i was able to print successfully.

Whether it was a loose connector, or just having everything off that fixed it, i dont know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.