1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer head just keeps moving up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bioclasm, Mar 31, 2015.

1. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Hello,

I got the printer successfully printing yesterday and printed off a few things perfectly. I then brought it to work and hooked it up to the same laptop, and told it to print. Yesterday it went through it's autolevel thing just fine, without any problems. Now it moves to one spot, and then rises in the z-axis, moves to another and rises on the z-axis again, and keeps going until I'm afraid it's going max out and I cancel it.

I haven't changed anything since it was printing perfectly yesterday.

Thanks,

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. Jason Vyff

Jason Vyff New Member

Mine did that initially, did you check to make sure that the stops (on each z screw) have the wires facing the front and the cross bar is sitting firmly on top of each? You may need to twist the stops slightly so that it slides down on them all the way. Then you might also need to adjust one side to bring it so the switches are level.

Mike beat me to it :)

4. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Hello,

Yeah, I have the wires facing out (away from the bar), with cross bar seated such that the nuts slid into the brace thing. However, I'm rather alarmed at how loose one of the bars is. I had followed that video before, and again today without success.

I ended up using the pinned FAQ g-code, and homing it as in his instructions. I'm a little annoyed that it was perfect until now, and that I needed to change the g-code just to get it printing again. However, homing it and finding the z-offset (which happened to actually be -1.1 [using the paper]) didn't work at first. I had this -1.1 in the g-code. I ended up having to change the printer settings z offset in addition, to 0.6. It's printing now, but I may decrease that to 0.5.

Anyways, I've gotten it printing again and not doing its weird ascension thing.

Thanks,