1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer Movement too fast

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by splk3, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. splk3

splk3 New Member

I have been working through a lot of issues including z-height, adhesion, bed leveling, extruder jams, throwing my nuts, and finally got everything happy ( or so I thought).

My printer now moves normally using the manual settings, but moves at what seems like full speed when it actually tries to print. Of course, the extruder can't keep up, so it doesn't work. I've tried setting all movement speeds to 10 mm/s, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I've tested with the Robo3D version of Repetier, the Robo3D version of MatterControl, several different test models, and both the February and March firmware updates.

Any ideas? I've been messing with the printer for a month and haven't gotten a complete calibration cube yet!

I'm going to try a different computer tomorrow to see if that is the issue, but otherwise I will be at a loss. The next step will be to maybe get an XXL LCD controller so I don't need a PC at all. Worst case I can manually slow down the print speed using the multiplier on the controller.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

What version of Slic3r are you using? Certain versions have some very fundamental height and speed related bugs especially version 1.00 RC2.

3. splk3

splk3 New Member

I was using 0.9.10b. I switched to a new laptop, installed the new MatterControl software (with both Slic3r and Cura slicers included!).

and then realized that I have a significant bowl-shape in the y-axis, which of course can't be corrected with the threaded rods. Did that and re-calibrated, ran the calibration tool to auto-compensate for the bed, and running a test print now.

I am really slow at 10mm/s just to make sure it works, but it looks good so far, and I'll slowly step it up as I make sure it works well.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Do you adjust the acceleration settings in your slic3r profile? Set those really low. It's acceleration that causes trouble, not really straight line speed.

If you do order an LCD, you can adjust the acceleration from there on the fly, which is nice if you have a part that is mostly simple, but with a section of more complex geometry.

5. splk3

splk3 New Member

the newest firmware and MC SW fixed my speed issue. Now I am having trouble with larger prints where extrusion really gets slowed down on the longer runs for infill and other items. Small objects are fine, and it appears like maybe the head is cooling down as it goes and can't keep hot enough to keep extruding filament that much. Not sure.

First 2 layers or so are perfect, even for larger prints, and then the infill goes in and out and can't keep a steady stream. I may swap out hobbed bolts to see if that fixes anything.

6. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

You said the newest firmware. Where do you get it? Can you post a link? How do you update your firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. splk3

splk3 New Member

I was originally downloading firmware from the forum posts the Robo team was putting up, but with the newest MatterControl software (download from the robo3d main site), there is a button on the main screen that checks your firmware and has a single-click upgrade. much improved and won't scare away people who aren't comfortable with compiling the raw arduino code and uploading it themselves.

The section of the MatterControl software should show firmware status and whether or not your Robo is up to date. They really have done a good job with that part of keeping your printer up to date, since it really is simple now.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Sometimes it is not really clear whether you have a speed problem or an acceleration problem. This is especially so with small prints.

For example I uploaded the latest Marlin version and my Robo started "rattlin and shakin" on prints I had done smoothly before. Looked like a speed issue but was actually an acceleration issue.

If you set the Slic3r acceleration controls to "0" the print acceleration will default to the Marlin firmware settings. In the latest Marlin these acceleration defaults (in configuration.h) are

#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

IMO 9000 on the X and Y axis is too high. The Robo Y axis in particular has a high mass and any aggressive acceleration is bound to cause some lag, overshoot and bouncing around. The X Axis has a heavy stepper and will have its limits on acceleration too.

I changed the Marlin settings to

#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {500,500,100,10000}

And my Robo started printing smoothly again.

I am not sure if 500 is the optimum value but it sure stops the shaking.

Alternatively the acceleration settings in Slic3r could have been changed to 500. But the problem with that is other slicers don't always have acceleration controls. Better to limit the acceleration in the firmware.

10. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Does the matter control firmware updates the adrieno board?

If it does, when using Repetier or Cura, they should be good to go as long as the printer and config settings all match the same as in the youtube tutorial on setting up Repetier? I'm using that to go by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. scotta

scotta Active Member

If you have the reprap discount graphics display installed. The auto firmware update does not work. It installs the version that works with the xxl display.

12. splk3

splk3 New Member

I do believe the Matter Control updates the Arduino board. The newest firmware should (at least according to Robo) work with the XXL LCD as well.

13. splk3

splk3 New Member

Once I get my new hobbed bolt installed I'll check the acceleration settings.

14. splk3

splk3 New Member

I have no idea. I've been using only MC since it came out. The bed level calibration has helped me a ton getting the first level laid down nice and flat. I've only been changing speed and temperature settings so far and otherwise using the stock MC settings as configured following the new setup video on youtube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.