1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer Not Homing on the X Axis : Solved

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Garnet, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garnet

Garnet Member

I had to solder one of the fan wires that had broken loose and am now realigning everything and the printer won't home of the X axis (the 'sideway' axis). It will home vertically and the bed moves to the correct location, but the extruder doesn't move laterally.

If I try to move it manually (via Repetier) it will move all the way to the right, but will only move as far to the left as the position it was in when I turned the printer off. For example if I turn the printer off with the extruder in the middle of the bed, I can move it all the way to the right, but then only back to the middle. The bed and vertical axis are fine. (I am disconnecting Repetier before turning it off).

What would be stopping it from going all the way to the switch?

Thanks.

#1 Garnet, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Left and right is the X axis. The bed moving front to back is the Y axis.

the end stop is on the left if you're looking at the printer from the front...

3. Garnet

Garnet Member

Thanks Mike, corrected.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

so you say the extruder will not move past center manually when the printer is off.

If so, then there is something obstructing the movement of the extruder a wire that is too short or caught on something and hanging it up
    The motion when the printer is turned on and functioning is controlled on one side by the endstop switch and the other side by a software configuration but movement in the center area should be completely free..

Using the software to move the motors can have issues if the printer bedsize is not configured properly are the endstop switch is having issues but when powered completely off and using your hand to move the motor it should be free to go completely to each side.

5. Garnet

Garnet Member

Thanks, but I explained poorly. The extruder can be moved anywhere by hand, it is not a physical block.

When I turn the printer on and try to move the printer within Repetier under the Manual Control tab, it will only move to the left to the point it was at when I shut off the printer. If it was to the extreme left, up against the shut of switch, then it will travel that far, but if it was only 1/3 of the way over to the left, then that is as far as it will travel. It will always travel all the way to the right (or vertically and the bed moved normally as well).

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok that makes more sense that means you have a axis endstop switch signal that is not responding properly if it only in one direction proably away from the endstop switch it has not gotten a signal as to where home is so to prevent damage it only moves away from what it thinks SHOULD be home.

As easy way to see this in repetier is to look at the color of the axis postions when you first turn on the printer all and connect to it all the numbers show in RED meaning the computer does not know where it is when Home is hit the numbers should turn to black if it does not then for whatever reason that home point is not being sent to the computer. This could me the wires to that switch are not connected right or broken or the switch itself is broken or possibly the plug is not placed on the pins on the board correctly yo may try wiggling the wires and doing repeated Homes on that axis and double check the wiring and plugs. Also make sure nothing is impeding the switch from activating I once had a loose wire get between the lever on teh switch and the switch itself and the wire prevented it from activating causing a similar issue.

7. Garnet

Garnet Member

Thanks tesseract, there was (another) broken solder where the wire connected to the X axis off switch. Soldered it back on and is homing properly.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.