1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer stops.....computer keeps going

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by shootertim, Apr 24, 2015.

1. shootertim

shootertim New Member

Evidently.....I'm up to a level 2 on the support level.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen......

I'll be printing along and all of a sudden I see the temp's for the extruder and bed start to drop......then the printer stops altogether when the temp goes below 200 (I have it set at 210 btw). The computer still thinks that it is printing.....even though the temperature drops.

Tried this with 2 different computers......2 separate cables to the printer....latest version and last version

I can still set the temp and see it go up.....but if I 'cancel' the print.....it's like I've lost communication and need to discon, then recon to get anything to move.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

USB communication glitch most likely.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

lots of threads on this :)

4. shootertim

shootertim New Member

Thats what I thought at first......however....all the time??? and on both computers??? And always within the 1st 3 layers..

The same computers....also run a flashforge printer with the same cables......granted, it's makerbot not the materhacker software

#4 shootertim, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That alone is likely a bit part of the issue.

Lots of threads on THAT as well :)

6. Zen

Zen Member

load the Gcode to the SD and print from sd. eliminates cables or computers

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. shootertim

shootertim New Member

And it appears that we have a winner!!!.......A while back......the rubber boot that covers the extrude head came loose and was all gunked up with plastic. Sooooo.....I took it off. seems that the rubber boot ALSO helps hold in the thermistor to the head (which is a little glass bead at the end of 2 small wires on the same side as the heater). That little thermistor is not glued in and can come out very easy or loose contact with the extrude head. When that happens....your temp control is no longer working and it shows the temp going down and the printer stops. No error message btw, just stops. The heaters shut down and you need to discon and recon the printer to clean up the bed.

I found the boot.......cleaned it up as best I could, re-attached it......wired it place for now making sure that the thermistor is contacting the extrude head.......way past the 3rd layer now on the print and still going!!! The guy in support (John, I think).....really knows his stuff!!!