1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printing one many times, or printing many one time.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dbvanhorn, Mar 15, 2015.

1. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

I know this will be somewhat "YMMV" but what issues do I face printing say eight of an object as opposed to printing one eight times?

I have some parts that take about an hour to print, and it would be very convenient to start a job and get a batch of parts rather than have to interact with the printer hourly getting one. I see that the pattern is to do one layer on each copy, so on a "onesie" print, the part will have less time to cool before the next layer comes on as opposed to waiting for seven brothers to get a layer.

I've made some trial runs, and not seen any issue, but I wonder if there's something sneaky I need to watch for.

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

The biggest thing to watch out for with printing all at once is if one part becomes unstuck, they all have a chance of becoming unstuck. By this I mean that the print head will have a tendency to carry the unstuck part around and bang into your other good prints.

If you are confident in your adhesion go to town though.

A benefit to printing multiples is that the time between layers increases which generally speaking helps smaller parts print better.

3. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Bed adhesion is one thing that is working wonderfully. As long as the bed is warm, they are on there solid and I would be nervous of trying to remove them since the bed is glass. When the bed cools, they literally pop off by themselves.

Cool, I'll forge ahead with multiples. Thanks!

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Cura has a "Print one at a time" option that you can use if you define the extruder volume. Good way to print a lot of parts without worrying about one coming unstuck and ruining a whole print

5. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Mike: Can you give me a shout in PM? kc6ete at gmail. I have a question for you.

6. palmi

palmi New Member

What is the printer head size of the R1?
    [​IMG]

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The carriage is about 50mm wide x 110mm long. So use these values

Xmin: 25
    Ymin: 55
    Xmax: 25
    Ymin: 55
    Gantry height: 31mm